Chapter 18

Authors Note: apologies again for the wait! Next chapter coming soon! Let me know your thoughts on the story and please continue to vote 💛

Scarlett barely slept after meeting Max at her school. She went into a deep dive into all the Formula 1 media she could find. When she got back to her apartment, she flopped onto her couch and turned on Netflix and started to watch "Drive to Survive" to her dismay, the first person they showed was none other than Daniel. She sighed and sunk into her couch ready to watch more of the show.
      Her phone rang and she quickly shot up and reached for it, she looked at the screen hopeful. Her face fell when it was Liam. She paused the show, and Daniel's face stopped on the screen and lit up her living room. She answered the phone "Hey Liam" she said.
      " Oh I was going to leave you a voicemail, I thought you would be asleep" he laughed.
      "I guess it is late, can't sleep, big day tomorrow," She said.
      "That's why I called, I heard you were coming to the paddock with your class tomorrow," He said excitedly.
      "Paddock? How did you hear?" She asked.
      "The Finance company I work for is a major sponsor for Formula 1. That's why I travel so much for work." He explained.
      "Oh, that makes sense I guess, but why did you never mention any of this, also I'm mad no one told me about the famous drivers I was spending time with." She had some growing frustration in her voice.
      "Scarlett I did warn you" He defended himself.
        "Not in the right way, I can't believe I actually slept with an F1 driver" She muttered quietly. Shit, she shouldn't have said that out loud,  she thought to herself.
       "You did what?" He said with little expression.
      "Uh, nothing" She stammered.
       "Scarlett, you said you slept with an F1 driver" He stated plainly.
      "I did say that" She admitted, not knowing how to react now.
      "Daniel?" He asked simply.
      "Yes, but it doesn't matter anyways" she answered.
       "You have me now anyways" he joked, completely changing his tone.
      Scarlett laughed awkwardly. "I should really go to sleep now," she said.
      "Okay, sleep well, I'll see you tomorrow at the track. Grab dinner tomorrow night?" He asked as he hung up.
      "Uh" Scarlett didn't respond before he hung up.
       The following day Scarlett work up and started getting ready immediately, she knew she would see a lot of people today and she wanted to make a great impression. She needed to look professional because it was a school-sanctioned trip and yet she needed to show some of her personality.
        She found a white collared button-up top with black polka dots, it had a black ribbon to tie up under the collar, A yellow oversized blazer and a black pencil skirt that hit just above her knees. She threw on a pair of black heels to polish off the look. She grabbed her brown leather messenger bag and threw it over her shoulder and headed to work. She decided to take the bus to avoid walking in heels as much as she could.
        Once at school she got her medical forms and contact lists ready and threw a first aid kit in her bag to have just in case of an emergency. Her class all arrived early so they could take the school bus to the track. She watched all her students pile onto the bus excitedly. She took attendance on the bus and went over the rules and expectations for her class.
        The bus arrived at the Gilles Villeneuve Circuit and Scarlett stepped out of the bus first, she looked around and found the Redbull staff member from yesterday. Who saw the school bus and headed over.
       "Good Morning" Scarlett smiled when she met the Redbull staff member.
      "Morning! We are excited to have you here today, gather your class and we can head in" She instructed.
      "I will go give them one more talking to about behaviour then we will be ready" Scarlett turned on her heels and walked back onto the bus.
      She stepped back onto the bus and she could see Ben literally vibrating in his seat. He looked at her and then turned around to the bus and yelled. "Seriously be quiet, this is the coolest thing we have ever done in school, don't any of you dare ruin this for me." He turned back around and sat back in his seat.
      Scarlett stifled a laugh, "Alright class, this is an incredible opportunity we have today. Please be on your best behaviour, don't embarrass the school or yourself. Straighten up your uniforms, don't forget your backpacks and let's go. Follow me in a line with a partner, don't stray from the group, and don't lose your partner." She said as she stepped out of the bus and had a trail of students following her.
       She met up with the staff member again, and she then followed her to the entrance of the paddock. Her heels clicked against the pavement and she needed to take some deep breaths. The butterflies in her stomach had now reached her throat, as she passed by larger-than-life signs and posters of all the drivers that she had met two months ago in Monaco.
      The group was escorted into the paddock and pictures were being taken of Scarlett and her class walking in, whispers were exchanged between photographers. She shrugged it off and continued to follow the Redbull staff. They arrived in front of the Redbull garage and Max emerged from inside.
      "Hey" He smiled and gave Scarlett a quick hug.
      Scarlett smiled and greeted him. She could hear Ben squealing in the line behind her. She laughed to herself. 
      "I'm just off to a press conference right now, Sarah can take you for a tour of the paddock and meet me outside of the press tent" He suggested as he quickly walked down the paddock.
      The Redbull staff nodded and checked her clipboard "Alright, I guess I'm giving you a tour of the paddock." She smiled. She made her way in the opposite direction of Max so Scarlett and her students followed.
      Scarlett once again focused on the noise her shoes made in the paddock to keep herself in the present moment. Her students were in awe of all of the garages and motorhomes throughout the paddock. A couple of them swore they saw some celebrities and wouldn't stop talking about it.
       The tour ended and the kids were chatting amongst themselves while they waited for Max to finish his interview. Shortly Max came out of the tent with a couple of drivers behind him. It took Scarlett a second to place who exactly was with him. Pierre, Charles and one shorter driver whom she couldn't remember his name came out of the tent behind Max. 
     Pierre and Charles immediately recognized Scarlett and came up to her and gave her a hug.      
      "Hey" She smiled at the pair.
      "Scarlett!  What are you doing here?" Pierre asked.
      "Max invited my class" She smiled.
       "Wait" Charles turned to Max, "You saw Scarlett yesterday and didn't say anything to us?" He asked rather loudly.
      "Thought it would be a fun surprise" Max grinned.
      "Well done" Charles laughed.
       "Someone will be excited to see her" Pierre Joked. 
       "Excuse me, Miss Fisher," Ben spoke up from the now silent group of students.
      Scarlett snapped out of the casual conversation she was in with the drivers. "Yes, Ben?" She responded with a sweet voice.
        "Care to introduce us?" He asked sounding desperate.
       Scarlett laughed. "Oh sure," She took a breath. "Well Class, this is Pierre Gasly, Charles Leclerc, and I'm sorry, I only met you quickly at the wedding." She trailed off.
       "Lando Norris" the other driver smiled, waved and then he looked at Scarlett. She could tell he was connecting the dots in his head.
       The four drivers then graciously started to talk to her class, poor Ben looked like he was going to throw up out of pure excitement. She was watching the interactions when she felt a tap on her shoulder.
       She spun around, the butterflies plummeted from her throat into her feet. It was Liam. "Hi" She smiled.
       "Hey" He pulled her into a rather forceful hug. He tried to kiss her.
      She quickly pulled herself away, "Liam, I'm at work." She said looking at the kids who were staring at her, and the four drivers were giving them a weird look.
     "Probably bear if you go," She said bluntly.
      "I'll see you tonight, we do have dinner plans," He said.
       Scarlett shook her head as he walked away down the paddock. The class resumed chatting with the drivers and they were gracious enough to sign some autographs.
       Sarah approached the group and told us it was time to head back to the garage and do a quick track tour. They said goodbye to the other drivers, Charles and Pierre gave her a quick hug before heading back to their respective motor homes.
      The class walked towards the Redbull motorhome, as they passed the Mclaren Motorhome, a blonde emerged holding Daniels's hand. It felt like they walked in front of the school group in slow motion. The blonde was practically dragging Daniel down the paddock. Scarlett turned and watched him walk past her. Her heart fluttered then stung with burning pain. The way things ended with them still bothered her, she felt replaceable and disposable. Just then, Ben took off running after Daniel.
       "MR. RICCAIRDIO" Ben yelled as he chased after him holding his hat full of signatures out and winding through the crowd at a high speed.
       "Shit" She muttered to herself. "Max can you make sure you keep everyone here, don't let anyone out of your sight," She said to him as she turned and started running after Ben. Max had a bit of panic in his eyes but he nodded and saluted her as she ran off. She was surprised that should run in her heels so well. She dodged the many people who were wandering the paddock and followed Ben.
      "Ben!" She exclaimed as she saw him standing in the middle of the paddock. She quickly weaved through the last couple of people separating her and her rouge student.
      Ben turned around "Oh Sorry Miss-"
       "Fisher?" Ben was cut off, Scarlett looked up to see who had interrupted him. She was met with Daniel's warm eyes and a hesitant look on his face. He looked over his shoulder and Scarlett followed his gaze. The blonde was standing a few feet away with her arms crossed in front of her chest and tapping her foot impatiently.
      Ben's eyes widened as he looked between Scarlett and Daniel multiple times. "Let me guess, you know this driver too," Ben said surprisingly sarcastically as he adjusted his school uniform.
       "I don't know him that well," She said with a flash of pain in her eyes. She met Daniel's gaze and could see him wince a bit when she said that.
      "Oh okay, well thank you for the autograph, Mr. Ricciardo." He said as he turned and walked casually back towards his classmates.
      Scarlett was left standing there with Daniel, they stared at each other for a minute which felt like an eternity. "About the night of the wedding..." He trailed off and quickly checking over his shoulder again.
       "It will save everyones feelings if you don't continue that thought. You are who you are, and I am who I am." Scarlett said bluntly as she cast look in the blonde's direction.
      "Wow" he said as he looked at the ground, he looked back up and inhaled, cuasing his chest to puff out. "I honestly didn't think you were that type of girl." he said rather pointedly.
      Scarlett blinked in shock, she didn't understand what he meant by that, "Well, I didn't think you were that type of guy" she shot back instinctively. She turned around immeadietly and walked back to her class.
      Her class was being entertained by Max balancing something on his head and as she approached Sarah kept walking towards the track entrance. Max fell into step with her, "So, how'd it go?" He asked like a teenage girl.
      Scarlett shot him a look "Nothing happened" She said coldly.. Then took a breath "is that the only reason you invited our class?" She snapped as they walked onto the track.
      "No, I thought it would be a cool thing for your class, and also a good way to get you to see everyone again." He said with a sly smile.
       "Max you sure love to meddle" She shook her head as he walked to the front of the class and started to walk in front pointing out the turns and interesting points in the track. Scarlett followed the gaggle of school children who were in awe of the track and the championship racer giving them the tour.

       As they made their way back to the pit lane, the students looked at all the garages and cars. Liam appeared and stood next to Scarlett. He leaned in "Change of plans, can I ask you to be my date at the FIA banquet tonight?" He asked in a hushed tone.
      "Uh" Scarlett looked around and caught sight of Daniel and the blonde. "Sure," She said as she smiled at Liam. A pang of jealousy arose in her chest when she looked over at the two of them standing next to each other, with her arms wrapped around him.
      Liam quickly wrapped his hand around her shoulder and gave her a squeeze "I'll pick you up at 6" he smiled, then left without another word.
Sarah approached Scarlett, "well it was great to have you but the team needs to get things ready for free practice tomorrow." She said.
      "Oh this was an amazing opportunity, thank you so much for the tour. I know the students loved it" Scarlett smiled graciously.
       "Before you go, we would love to get a picture of your class and our crew!" Sarah said as she gathered the pit crew, drivers and her class for a photo opportunity.
       The picture setup caught the media's attention and some of them pointed their cameras and got some pictures of Scarletts and Max standing next to each other,  her class, the pit crew and the technical staff.
       "This photo will make the perfect end-of-year gift for my students" Scarlett joked to Max after the photo was taken.
       Max laughed and they said their goodbyes.   
      Scarlett ushered her class back to the bus.
        "BEST DAY EVER" Ben screamed when he sat down at the back of the bus. "Thanks, Miss Fisher" he smiled widely.
      Scarlett smiled back, the bus startled to rumble and pull out of the parking lot.  She was already thinking of what she would wear to the FIA banquet later that night.