Belly of the beast

"I'm good," I promise, "I'll be fine. We can go back."

"You said you were fine before we went in the first time," Zac argues.

"I didn't realise how much it would shock me when I actually saw him again for the first time. But I've seen him, I've had my moment I can cry about it later when I don't have mascara on if I need to."

"Seriously? You held back tears just because you have mascara on?"

"It's a very powerful motivator."

Zac laughs, "so you're definitely good? Because I'd be more than happy to take you home, I don't really want to be here anyway."

"I promise I am okay," I say, "thankyou for worrying."

"I'm your brother, worrying is my job."

I laugh and take a deep breath, "into the belly of the beast?"

"into the belly of the beast," Zac confirms.

We run into our parents, who ask where we disappeared off to and we lie and say the bathrooms so they won't worry about me too much. I want them to enjoy their night, even if Zac and I don't really want to be here.

"Come on, we should dance," Zac suggests.

"Did you just willingly volunteer to dance in public?" Mum questions.

"It's for Bianca," Zac defends, "can't have her shitty moves representing the family."

I laugh, "you just don't want to have to socialise."

"Maybe," Zac responds as he drags me toward where a couple other people are dancing.

I giggle and we decide to just forget about everyone else and dance along to the music, not caring if our moves are up to the right standard or if anyone thinks we look silly. It's fun and the perfect distraction, presumably Zac's other motive for suggesting it. While I won't actually say it to him, he's a really good brother.

"Isn't that your friends?" Zac asks pointing over to where Kie and Pope are standing near a barbecue talking, "did we tell you that two of them came to visit while you were out?"

"JJ?"

Zac shakes his head no, "the other two boys I think. John B came while you were asleep but that guy checked in while you were still in hospital."

"Really?"

"Why is that a shock? They're your friends. They should be worried about you," Zac responds, "you can go over if you want."

"Yeah I should probably go say thankyou," I respond, "catch you later?"

Zac nods and I make my way over to the barbecue where they're chatting and give a shy, "hey?"

"Bianca? Oh my God, I thought you were dead," Pope nearly shouts. He moves to give me a hug but looks down at his oily apron and decides against it. I laugh.

"Takes a lot more than Rafe Cameron to take me down, Pope, you should know that by now," I respond, leaning over to give him a gentle kiss to the cheek, "someone said you came to check on me?"

Kie gives Pope a strange look, like she doesn't understand why.

"Yeah, yeah I did," he responds, "you're dad said you were still in hospital drifting in and out of consciousness though. Said you had a concussion but that there wasn't any other real damage and you'd be fine in a couple days and I could visit then. I wasn't sure if you were even out yet."

"Yeah I got out the other day, but doctors orders and my family had me confined to the couch for the past two days," I explain, "otherwise I would have come and checked on you guys. Did I miss anything interesting?"