The final chapter

We shove the phantom into the water and the four of us stand there in silence, watching as John B leaves. God only knows when we will see him again. I just hope he actually gets out of here and makes it across the border. Then, I guess it's up to the rest of us to try and clear his name so he can come back to the OBX. Or else... well I don't actually know what else.

Once John B is out of sight, JJ breaks away from the group, visibly upset. Naturally, I follow him, but I just let him have a breather for a second before I do anything. When he turns around to look at me, there are tears sliding down his face. With a shaky inhale, he gives me the look that definitely clears me to hug him. I close the distance between us in an instant and he buries his head in my shoulder, his chest heaving as he tries to breathe through his tears.

"He's gonna be okay," I whisper, "he has to be."

He pulls himself together a bit and stands up straight, smoothing his hair down and fixing his hat before wiping his face. He gives me a small nod, trying to convince himself. Then he shakes his head and blows out a breath.

"My best man just ran off," he tries to joke.

"Have to call the wedding off," I joke back.

"Not a chance," he insists, "actually, I want you to put the ring back on. Opinions be damned."

I smile and nod while he pulls it out of his pocket and slides it back on my finger. I give him a kiss, trying to promise him with my lips that he's still got me and that we will work everything out. I'm not sure it says that much, but it makes him smile when I pull back. That is, until we hear sirens getting close again. We both turn toward them and decide now would be a great time to run. But when we turn back around, Kie and Pope are also kissing. Plot fucking twist. Pope finally got the girl though, good for him. Question is; does the girl deserve him? Jury is still out on that one in my opinion.

"Hey, guys, hate to break up the party but we gotta go. Right now," JJ says, tugging me back toward the car.

We make it all of a metre before three different cop cars show up, sirens blaring and filled to the brim with police and FBI. They all dive out, coming toward us with weapons at the ready. My hands shoot straight into the air, a diamond ring gleaming on one and Rafe's dried up blood on the other. Cute.

"God damnit," Shoupe says when he realises JB isn't here, "Bratcher, have your guys stand down. Let me talk to these kids."

All the cops holster their weapons as Shoupe approaches us. Man must be at hit wits-end because he's lost his cool.

"Where the hell is he?" Shoupe demands, so professional (not).

The four of us keep our hands up, saying nothing as he approaches us, frustration basically emanating from his pores.

"JJ, I see you're living up to your name."

Low blow, bastard.

"Pope, how about you? This isn't a game. You can do the right thing now! Where'd he go?"

Again, silence.

"And you girls? You think your parents would want you hanging out with this lot? Helping criminals?"

Now, I bite, "he's not a goddamn criminal! And my parents love 'this lot,' in fact, they're family now."

Shoupe groans, "get in the cars, now. You're coming with us."

I gulp, this might not be something my parents love. Especially not my dad. I guess I just have to hope he's not home. But I don't think my luck is that good.

Shoupe puts Kie and Pope into one of his deputy's cars and JJ and I in the back of his, and then they take us to where they're set up with all their tents and cop gear. God knows why it's all outdoor. Isn't this the whole point of a cop station?

JJ's hand hasn't left mine since we got in the cop car, even though we're now in one of the cop tents, being bossed around by Shoupe and treated like suspects. There are people everywhere, the sun is gone and the wind is picking up quickly. JJ is repeatedly running his finger over the band of my ring as though it comforts him knowing it's there.

They leave an armed SWAT guy to guard us, like we're the criminals and not Ward and Rafe fucking Cameron. In the tent beside us, they're making plans on how to catch John B in the Phantom. God, there are more people on this case than I've seen on serial killers' cases. Look, I respect that you gotta support the boys in blue and all, but why does it seem like Peterkin (may she rest in peace) is more important than anyone else on this planet?

It's all finally getting so intense and I can feel my anxiety rising like a shadow trying to take over my body. I'm starting to zone out, only able to focus on keeping myself breathing and not hyperventilating. JJ's hand is gripping mine so tightly that the pain draws my attention to him as well. Like it's just the two of us in the world right now. I can almost feel the anxiety emanating from is body as well. I tighten my own grip on his hand and he looks at me. I know it's only for a few seconds that our eyes lock but it feels like an eternity. I can read the emotions in his eyes so clearly and plainly like its a book I've just opened up, and despite everything, despite the pain and terror written so clearly in his eyes, and the shadow overtaking my body, I would still read this book a thousand times. I drop my head on his shoulder, glad that he's the person I will go through all of this with. His head rests on top of mine and for a split second I feel like everything will be alright as long as we're together.

And it's at that moment that our worlds seem to come crashing down on us.

All around us, everything lights up. Sirens start blaring and people start running, all as the rain starts absolutely pouring. Everything gets more and more intense by the second until Shoupe and a couple of other officers walk in wrapped in raincoats. We all get up, drawn to him and as Shoupe takes off his hood, I know it's over. The look on his face tells me whatever he's about to say is not something he wants to say and not something we want to hear.

"We lost them," Shoupe says, "I'm sorry."

Pope starts babbling, questioning him and pushing him. But I know what he means. They didn't escape, but they didn't get caught either. They're gone. My hand slips from JJ as I take a few steps back, feeling like the tent is falling in on me. I need space. I need air, and despite being surrounded by it, none of it seems willing to enter my lungs.

I'm somewhat aware of JJ going off on Shoupe, grabbing him and then being pulled off him. I finally come to and look up to JJ. I call his name but don't hear my own voice over the chaos. I call it again and again, not hearing myself but at some point, it's obvious that he hears me because his eyes are locked on mine and he finally stops fighting the officer that is holding him back. Reluctantly, the officer lets him go and I realise it's because I'm standing right in front of him and he's collapsing into my arms, tears streaming down his red face.

I look up when I hear my brother's voice. I turn my head, not letting go of JJ, and see Kie and Pope both hugging their parents and my mother standing a couple of feet away, crying. JJ lets go of me as Zac tugs me into his arms. My own tears start falling as reality comes crashing down on me. I look back at JJ to see him in my mother's arms. I separate from Zac to encompass myself in her outstretched arm and JJ and I stand, crying, hugging my Mum and Zac.

I feel another person behind me, reaching for JJ and then Heyward and his wife are also hugging us. I see Kiara and Pope hugging each other a few steps away, Kiara's parents standing behind them. Everybody is wet from the rain, but it's the salty tears that really fill the room as we all mourn the loss of John B and Sarah. I'm not even sure how I know that Sarah was on the boat as well, but everybody seems to know that she was and she's not coming back either. Neither of them are.

I'm not gonna lie to you, this hurt to write.

But that's the end of the Pogue Life. I'll catch you all in season 2, for which I'd love some votes as to what the call the book. It might take me a little bit to finally release it to you all, but I'll get it out at some point.

Love you all endlessly and thankyou for the support. It's been a pleasure to bring Bianca to life. She's one of my favourite characters I've ever written and I'm so glad you all love her too.

When I started writing this, I thought it would just be a little fun and I certainly never thought anyone would actually read it let alone enjoy it, but y'all came through well and truly.

xoxo, Em