°one

Eve

I don't think I've ever run as fast as I did in those thirty seconds. God, it felt like hours. But gosh I didn't stop. I couldn't stop. It was like a race, but if I didn't win, I know I'd die.

The growl of the beast echoed the woods behind me as I ran. I heard it jump from tree to tree. Crashing into the bark, before running after me again.

I was already in pain. I was already broken. Now, I had no choice but to fight to live. Not that I ever wanted to before this, but now I had no other instinct but to run to live.

Of course Enid was right. I never should have gone looking for my bag. I never should have left that damn crowded room.

Finally, far in front of me, I saw the gates of the school. I needed to reach it before the beast caught me.

"Eve!"

My eyes saw these of Enid and Wednesday as they yelled my name.

"It won't enter school grounds. Run!"

For the first time in two days I heard normal words leave Wednesday's lips. But I believed them.

Once I neared the school, I heard the thumps of the jumping beast near me. I couldn't die. Not now.

Yet, I made my way right into the gates, before the best stopped in front of it. I couldn't even look at it, but I heard it turn around and rush away.

It really wouldn't enter the school grounds.

"Well, that was unfortunate. I nearly had it."

I looked up at Wednesday after I crashed onto the floor in Enid's arms.

"Are you kidding me?" I bit. "That thing nearly killed me!"

"Come on, Eve," Enid said as she helped me stand up, only to freeze as I grunted. "Gosh, what happened?"

I looked at my arm, seeing two slashes of the beast's claw across my skin; and it was deep. It was more painful to look at, but not as painful as it seemed.

"𝑂ℎ 𝐺𝑜𝑑, 𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑛𝑒𝑒𝑑𝑠 𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑡𝑐ℎ𝑒𝑠!" - 𝐸𝑛𝑖𝑑

"I know," I sighed, standing up.

Enid looked at me in panic. "What? I didn't-"

"I know," I sighed, this time shaking my head lightly. "I just aaw the look on your face... Stitches..."

Her eyes were indeed wide, and her teeth locked together. I knew that look. It's the same look everyone always gave me when they knew I was lying. And God, was I bad at lying.

"𝑆ℎ𝑒'𝑠 𝑠𝑢𝑐ℎ 𝑎 𝑤𝑢𝑠𝑠. 𝐼𝑡'𝑠 𝑜𝑛𝑙𝑦 𝑎 𝑠𝑐𝑟𝑎𝑡𝑐ℎ." - 𝑊𝑒𝑑𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑑𝑎𝑦

I glared at Wednesday. She had no right to call me childish. Not even Enid, none the less. It's a deep cut.

Oh God I hope they realize that I can hear their thoughts.

Thoughts have haunted me since I was little. Until I was about six, I thought that I was only imagining what they could have been saying, but at my sixth's birthday, I realized that I was wrong. I never had a dad to tell me about what was happening, but my mum was what they call a 'normie'... She didn't know any of it. And as an only child, I didn't know any better.

Well, I never grew up around werewolves and sirens until I was ten. I always thought they were fairytales and myths. Boy, was I wrong.

Mum took me to meet my dad's side of the family, and there was a variety. Sirens, werewolves, telekinetics, clones; you name it. I was never aware of the possibilities until then.