°three

Eve

We probably sat in silence for half an hour. Not one said a word. I was actually admiring the complete silence. Even for a couple of minutes, not a thought appeared in my own head. Only the lights in the sky.

Yet, when the boy adjusted beside me, and I saw him move in the corner of my eye, my mind became a minefield of thoughts. My feet lightly walked across thus field, and tried missing the triggers, but they were everywhere.

It troubled me how all of a sudden I couldn't hear someone's thoughts. I mean, since I can remember I've been filled with other's ideas. It was hard for me, truly. And now that this boy appeared and my life was silent... What made him so special?

Part of me feared that I had completely lost my ability. And to be honest, that part also felt a little hopeful I did. Even though some see it as a gift, I do not.

"Do you know about the Outreach day this week?"

I looked up at him, seeing him already look down at me.

"Yeah, I heard about it. What is it anyways?"

"Well, we get assigned jobs to help in Jericho. We basically volunteer for a whole day. Thursday I think."

I nodded slowly. "So we help do the work they aren't doing?"

He chuckled lightly. "Basically, yes. But we're more of assistants than anything else."

My eyes looked back up at the sky. The stars shimmered brightly. It made me miss home, a little.

Mum and I stayed with my aunt in a town like Jericho; in the middle of nowhere. There were many outcasts there, and few normies. Yet, the place was like home.

"Do you have a phone?"

Frowning, I looked back at him. "I'm sorry?"

"Do you have a phone? Like are you on the school groups?" he asked.

I shook my head lightly. "I mean, yeah I have a phone, but I need to fix the battery."

It was true. The phone wouldn't charge.

"Jericho has a phone store, you know? They fix batteries for cheap."

"Thanks," I smiled softly.

Yet again, I tried visiting his thoughts, but to no avail. There was nothing but emptiness and silence.

"What's with the beanie?" I asked, hoping to make small talk.

Look, I wasn't one for being social, but something about this boy fascinated me. Well, the fact that I couldn't read his mind.

He laughed. "They hide the snakes."

"The snakes? Like really bushy hair?"

"No," he laughed again. "I'm a gorgon."

Gorgon. Creatures like the ancient Medusa. Only, they only stone you temporarily. And, they're known as stoners. I've read about them.

I nodded. "Right, sorry. Explains a lot."

He smiled. "And you? What outcast are you?"

"A Telepath," I admitted, looking back at him.

He looked surprised. "Telepath?"

I nodded, but looked down at the ground. "But for some reason, around a certain person, it's silence."

He frowned, his head tilting slightly. "Silence?"

I smiled softly. "I have no control over whether I heard someone's thoughts or not. Yet, this one person's mind in empty. I cannot hear anything."

For seconds it was silent again. All I heard were the distant owls, and that's it.

"That sounds, peacful?" he questioned carefully.

I giggled. "It is. You would be surprised."

I looked up at the stars, and the thought of time hit me like a drunk witch on a broom.

"We should get to bed," I said, looking at him, before standing up.

He quickly followed me to his feet. "Should I... Do you want me to walk you."

Shaking my head, a smile appeared on my lips. "No thank you. I'll manage."

"I'll walk with you to the building, at least. Please?"

Please? Was he begging to be a gentleman?

"Alright," I smiled, before making my way to the building.

We walked in silence, not a word said. I heard nothing but our footsteps. Not a voice, or idead, or thought. Silence followed us to the corridor I met him.

I turned to meet his eyes, which were already looking down at me.

"Thank you, gorgon."

His lips smiled. "Evie, right?"

"Just Eve," I said softly. "But you can call me Evie if you want."

"Evie," he whispered.

"Goodnight," I greeted, before taking a step back. "Thank you for a peaceful, quiet night."

He just looked at me, a smile on his lips. He wasn't going to say anything else.

So I turned around, and walked away. I knew he didn't move. He stood still, watching me walk, until I probably vanished.

Once again, his empty mind lingered into mine. He was thoughtless, or I just couldn't read his mind. It was wondrous.

~

"You came in late last night," Enid stated as we walked out of the cafeteria. "Who were you with?"

"No one," I lied.

She stopped just when we entered The quad, looking at me with disbelief. "No one? I saw you come into the room smiling."

"You stalker?!" I scoffed.

She shrugged, smiling. "Don't change the subject."

I smiled softly. "I don't know his name."

Enid's smile widened. "Oh, my-"

"Enid!"

She spun around, and I saw her brothers waving her over. She looked back at me.

"This is not over."

"Sure it is," I smiled, before watching her run off.

Just then my eyes met his. He was already looking at me, a smile on his lips.

I smiled back, but turned around, and vanished back off to my staircase. My lovely staircase.

This time I was blessed to eat alone with my own thoughts and own music.