°twenty-five

Ajax

The first time I was genuinely nervous, was the December of 2027.

I wasn't sure why I was so nervous. We've been together for four years and a month. That's a record considering most people.

What if she wasn't ready? What if I was just being stupid? What if she says no because I'm a gorgon? What if she doesn't like the one I picked out? What if she doesn't want to have such commitment?

It's just a small step, I reminded myself. I've been taking small steps for four years now, and this definitely wasn't a small step. This was a huge one.

"Alright," Enid smiled, looking at the bottle. "Xavier, it's your turn."

He spun the bottle, and as a bunch of twenty, and twenty-one year olds, we watched the bottle spin.

It was a Christmas tradition we started. Buy gifts and play spin the bottle to exchange it. It's stupid, but we all actually like it.

The bottle pointed at Enid, and Xavier handed her her gift. She opened it like the high-on-sugar wolf she was, and her eyes lit up and she pulled out a small box filled with scented candles.

"Oh my God, Xavier," she smiled brightly. "I've wanted some for weeks now!"

Xavier grinned, glancing at Evie, and Enid looked at her.

"Oh, Eve! How dare you!"

Evie just laughed, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Whose next?" Bianca asked.

Enid looked down at the list. "Yoko."

And so the game went on, until it was my turn again. I took a deep breath, and spun it. My eyes stayed on it, and then, to my luck, it landed straight on Evie.

"Aww," Enid smiled bright, sinking into Yoko's arms.

"I'll be right back," I said as I made my way to my feet.

I faded to Xavier's guest bedroom where Evie and I had been staying the last week. On the bed, I picked up a small box, before taking a deep breath.

When I left the the room, Evie looked up at me, frowning. "You alright, dear?"

"Merry Christmas," I sat, squating down in front of her, holding out the box.

She frowned, while still smiling, and gently placed it on her lap. Then, carefully, she took the lid off, and her eyes widened as two paws pressed against the side.

"What is it?" Bianca asked.

Then the kitten meowed as it looked at Evie with bright blue eyes. She looked at it in awe, before gently picking it up.

I smiled. "You've always wanted one."

Then she looked at me, a bright smile on her lips. "Ajax?! Thank you!"

She brought the kitten to her chest as it sat calmly in her hand. I was surprised. The little demon almost tore my arm apart when I got it.

"You still have to name it," I said, sitting down beside her again. "I haven't."

The kitten was black, which limited the names. But she didn't matter.

"Reese," she smiled, still looking at the kitten.

"How thoughtful, Ajax," Bianca smiled.

-----

January 2028. It's 00:03, and this time, I'm looking up at her. I felt more nervous than on Christmas Eve.

Maybe this was bad timing. Maybe this was too cheesy. Maybe this was going too far considering I gave her a kitten six days ago on Christmas eve. Maybe I'm jumping ahead if myself. Maybe I'm moving to fast.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Yoko wrap her hand over Enid's mouth, keeping her silent the moment she saw me.

Xavier didn't know the plan. No one did. That's why we were at his beach house near the lake this December. Usually we'd just be at out apartment in New York. Yet, I managed to get us here.

I saw the fireworks in front of Evie, but I was looking at her. Holding my breath, I hoped she'd just turn around, but she was too fixated on the sparkles. Classic Evie.

"Everlyn."

She turned around, her eyes first searching for me, until they found me down on one knee, with an open ring box in my hand.

Her eyes widened as her hands flew to her mouth as she gasped.

Of course she'd be surprised. Xavier had the ring all this time, and Enid didn't know. And of course she couldn't read my mind. Xavier didn't even know he had the ring. I hid it I'm his art supplies. He doesn't paint when we're there.

"Everlyn Garcia Brooks. Would you pl-"

"Yess!" she yelled, suddenly leaping forward, diving me off of my balance, and to the ground.

It hurt, physically, I have to admit, but I was mentally bursting into fireworks.

She said yes, to me!

She kissed me about ten times, before Xavier helped her to her feet, and then me.

With a smile, I slipped the ring onto her finger, a brighter smile on her lips. She then again, leaped forward, but this time I kept my balance. I wrapped my arm around her waist as she basically hung in the air.

"My beanie," I reminded her, but she didn't budge.

-----

September of 2028. It was as if time flew. It was as if only yesterday I gave her that ring, and now I was going to add another one.

More nervous than ever, I stood at the alter, with Xavier right behind me.

"You'll be fine, stop stressing," he told me.

I sighed. "What if she gets cold feet and leaves me here and I have to explain to everyone why even though I don't know wh-"

"She's not going to get cold feet," Xavier said. "She's in love with you, Jax. She'd marry you in high-school if she could."

I sighed, looking down the aisle. She had to be here about two minutes ago. What if she did get cold feet?!

Then the doors opened, and Enid's daughter, Poppy, walked in. She dropped rose petals alongside the aisle, while wearing a soft green dress. Then one for one, Bianca, Yoko, and Enid entered, all wearing the same shade of green dresses.

Then she did, and my heartbeat rose. Everyone stood up as they looked at her in awe. She looked breathtaking. Like a princess.

She stepped in front of me, a bright smile on her lips.

"Ready?" the Priest asked beside us.

She scrunched her nose and smiled. "Have been since high-school."

The End