°six

Eve

"Heard about the dance?"

No, Enid. I've been searching from mind to mind for the past week to find the guilty soul who made me faint.

Yet I didn't say that.

Smiling, I looked at her. "Not really."

"It's going to be amazing!" she said with full excitement, dropping onto my bed beside me. I closed my homework book, turning to her. "You're going, right?"

"Of course," I said, seeing her smile spread. "That is if someone asks me."

Her smile dropped within seconds. "Right. A date. I mean, someone already asked me, but you need a date."

"Who asked you?" I frowned.

"Some normie. But it's fine. It's just a dance."

"Right," I said, giving a nod, yet knowing she was melting, mentally.

Wednesday suddenly appeared in the doorway, and when I looked at her, my eyes shot up to the clock. Almost nine.

"I'm going to the bathroom," I said, grabbing my phone. I moved to my feet, looking down at Enid. "I'm sure this normie is a sweet guy."

I slipped out of the room, and found myself not going to the bathroom, but to the nearest exit of the building. I faded around the corner once I left the corridor, and then went straight to the greenhouses.

No one was there, surprisingly, and I felt a bit at peace once I laid down onto my back.

The stars were faded away behind clouds, and there were barely gaps between them.

I felt in love.

Honestly, I was more of a sunset type of person. It showed how every bad day could have a beautiful ending. Yet, something about a clouded night sky spread a smile on my lips. I'd say it warmed my heart, but it actually just calmed it.

"Alone, again?"

I turned my head to see Ajax looking down at me with a light frown.

"Peaceful?" I said, a small smile on my lips.

He chuckled, before sitting down beside me, while I sat up straight.

"What brings you out here?" I asked, looking at him.

He shrugged lightly. "Just wanted some air, actually."

"The boys' rooms are too far away for you to have just come here for air..."

He chuckled lightly, he's eyes averted to the ground. "This air is fresher."

"Same air, Ajax," I stated, making him chuckle again.

Then, suddenly a rustle came in the distance, and both our heads jumped into the direction. Yet, everything fell silent.

"What was that?" Ajax whispered.

Slowly, I found myself moving to my feet. Just then, a light switched on behind the greenhouses, and a figure appeared through the glass. Then it ran.

Immediately I jumped to a run, rushing after it. I heard Ajax call: "Evie!" behind me, yet he followed.

The figure glanced back a couple of times, but I couldn't see who they were. Definitely human-form, but that's all. Nothing could give them away.

Soon, within seconds, we entered the woods, but Ajax didn't let me go far. He grabbed me around my waist, and suddenly pulled me to a stop.