°twenty-three

Eve

"Wait, she can't do that. Can she?"

I kept looking at the door as I spoke to Ajax and Xavier on the phone.

"I don't know. She just rocked up here and said we're leaving."

"We're almost there!" Xavier yelled as he and Ajax ran to the front of Ophelia Hall.

"Everlyn, are you done?"

"No, mom! I'm getting dressed!" I lied.

Impatiently I got out of the room window, and onto the balcony. This wasn't my idea. This was Ajax's. For once he had a super crazy idea, which all three of us knew was probably not going to work.

"Everlyn?" I heard my mom called from the hallway, but I didn't answer her this time.

I was hanging over the balcony, just in time to see Ajax and Xavier appear. Suddenly I couldn't stand the height. I wasn't scared of heights, I was scared of falling to my definite death.

But then I heard the door handle jiggle, and I had my courage back. Luckily there was a fire escape, and I found myself climbing down with a speed, but it didn't reach the ground. It was still a little high up.

"Jump!" Ajax yelled as he stood under me. "Come on!"

"My God, Everlyn?!"

I looked up, seeing my mother looking down at me with anger.

So I let go of the fire escape, and dropped down. Ajax caught me, even though we both still stumbled down to the ground. Xavier rushed us to our feet, and I know my mother was already rushing down the stairs cursing my name with every step.

"Run!" I said, grabbing Ajax's hand.

The three of us ran as fast as we could, pushing through children. I didn't know which way my mother would go, but I did know that she'd do anything in her power to stop me. That's just the way my mother was.

"This way!" Xavier yelled, gesturing for Ajax and I to follow him through the school building.

"Run, run, run!" -Xavier

"Everlyn!" my mother yelled after us.

When we just burst out of the school's front doors, I saw Ryle pack his bags into a car.

"Stop them!" my mother yelled, and suddenly security guards grabbed the three of us by our wrists.

Mother stopped, panting out of breath. One could see that she hadn't run in ages.

"It's final, Everlyn. You're getting in that car."

"Get in the bloody car." -mother

"No," I scoffed, pulling myself out of a guard's hands. "Why would I go with you? Why now?"

She scoffed. "Because I'm your mother."

Suddenly Headmistress Weems came barging out the front door, and mother's face grew with disgust.

"Great. Now I have to face you."

"What's this chaos about?" Weems asked, gesturing for the guards to let go of Xavier and Ajax. "Why are you here, Lyn?"

"Lyn Annabelle Drift. The normie who nearly killed us all. Bloody great." -Weems

"I'm here to take home my daughter."

"Two weeks before the holidays?" I scoffed.

She glared down at me. "I can take you home whenever I want, Everlyn."

"Get in that car!" -mother

"I still have school!"

"You can finish your next semester in a normie school, where you belong."

"Not with these creeps." -mother

I scoffed again. "Here we go, again."

"Lyn, I don't think you understand that here at Nevermore, we care about your child's education. I'm sure the stories you've heard of have been-"

"I don't care about these silly stories," mother bit. "She's coming home with me."

"I can't stand this place any longer." -mother

"I'm not going anywhere with you," I said, taking a step back when she tried taking my hand.

Mother darted her eyes down at me. "You're coming home."

"Unfortunately she cannot," Weems said, suddenly stepping between us and my mother. Ajax then grabbed my hand, pulling me back further.

"Weems, don't-"

"She still has two weeks of educational classes to attend. You may leave with Ryle, since he is leaving school and wishes not to continue at Nevermore again. Unfortunately you may not leave with Eve."

"Just mind your business, Weems." -mother

"Everlyn," my mother said, looking down at me, "Has no business being in this school. She's not an outcast."

"Stop denying my ability mom."

"Stupid fucking ability. Please." -mother

"A telepath isn't a gift, Everlyn. You were cursed with it after what you did to your dad. Now get in that car."

"No, mom," I said, a little stronger than before.

"Everlyn-"

"I'm not leaving."

She darted at me again. "I'm going to count to five, Everlyn. If you're not in that car by the time I say five, you're disowned."

I didn't move. My grip tightened in Ajax's hand as I glared at her.

"Stay, Everlyn." Planted by Ryle, of course.

"One."

I looked at Ryle, seeing him lightly shake his head.

"Two."

My eyes moved back to my mom as she stared me dead in the eye.

"Three."

I felt my own heart racing. I wasn't sure why I was scared or nervous. She's never been in my life, why would I care if she threw me out of hers?

"Four."

But I wasn't going to let her get to me. She always found a way to make me feel bad about things. She always had me be the bad guy. She was barely ever there. She was sour, and mean, and bitter, and now she was taking her normie-assholeness out on me.

"Everlyn, don't-"

"Five," I said, making her eyes widen. "Sorry, miss Drift. I cannot help you."

"This ungrateful little witch. I swear." -mother

She looked at me in disbelief, as I She was expecting me to actually fall for her manipulation, again. Her eyes then moved to Weems.

"Good luck," she said, before glaring down at me one final time, before turning around, walking to the car.

She got inside with Ryle, before they pulled away, leaving the school grounds.

Suddenly it was like a weight pulled off of my chest. I felt at peace, even though so little changed.

I looked up at Ajax, meeting his eyes. So little had changed, but everything felt sort of different.

*this is the third last part. next will be the second last, then only one more*
xxx