°eighteen

Eve

It had been two weeks, even though it felt like it all happened yesterday. Weems allowed me to take the week off and regain energy, but I returned to classes last week Monday.

It was weird. Students looked at me the way they looked at Wednesday the first week she was here. I felt like I was on a 24 hour watch.

Weems had setup a school lock down, mostly because the monster was still not found. I recently heard of some kid who was hospitalized the night of the dance. It was scary actually.

I had a daily ruitine. Get dressed, go straight to my first class, then by the time it was lunch, I'd get me something to eat, then I'd go straight to my room, eat there, and go straight to my classes, and back to my room. Lunch was quite my only meal.

I avoided kids. Wore my headphones. Spoke to barely anyone. The most words I spoke to Wednesday, was me asking her to type softer. Well, I yelled at her. Themost words I spoke to Enid, was asking for homework, a week ago. And that's about it. No one else heard a peep from me. Not even Ajax.

I was embarrassed about how he found me. Shaking on the floor, looking like a mess. I couldn't justify that in my mind.

~

"Eve," Miss Thornhill called as we packed up at the end of the period and kids started leaving.

I pulled my headphones off, walking to her table. She then pushed my essay in front of me, a small smile on her lips.

"Even though it was late, I am impressed. One of the best I've read."

I smiled. "Thank you, ma'am." I had an A. The best I've ever done on an assignment.

"How are you feeling?" she asked, making me meet her eyes again.

"This poor girl. What she went through must have been hard. The cave... What cave was she in?"

"I feel better, ma'am, thank you."

She smiled. "Don't ask her about the cave. It's been too long. She'll know."

"I hope to see your parents here on Thursday," she smiled.

Parents day. Forgot.

"My mum will see if she has time, ma'am," I said, making her nod. "I have homework to do, ma'am. May I?"

"Of course," she smiled. "You can do it here if you want. I'm heading out anyways. My plants could do with some water.

"I'm too lazy to do it myself, and you're the only students who wants to do if anyways. I have to go to Jericho anyways. I need to speak to Tyler."

Tyler? Why on earth would she want to see Tyler?

Nodding, I smiled. "Of course ma'am. Thank you."

With a smile, she oacked her bags and was out of the greenhouse in kiss than two minutes.

As I watered the plants, I felt drowsiness flow over me again. The same drowsiness that came and went in the past two and a half weeks. Enid hoped it wasn't depression, but I didn't think it was. It was probably just lack of energy.

~

When I finished watering the plants, I didn't stay to do my homework. I didn't have the energy to do it honestly.

I went to my room, got dressed into some tights and a large shirt. But I didn't get onto my bed. I just looked at it. I didn't want to get into my bed.

The next thing I knew, I was barefoot put of my room with my headphones on, and my phone in my hand. I didn't think. I didn't want to think. I didn't want to care. I didn't want anyone else to stop me and question me. I didn't want anything except to be in someone else's bed.

Ajax's bed.

It was Tuesday, so he was at fencing. When he entered his room, he was surely not expecting something to be under his blankets in his bed, but there I was. I had heard him enter, but I didn't move.

"Evie?" he questioned.

I was holding back tears. I had been for the past two weeks.

Suddenly, the bed moved, and I suddenly felt cold arms wrap around my waist. Ajax had gotten into his bed, behind me. He pulled me closer to him, nuzzling his nose into my neck.

I finally felt at peace.

I placed my hands on his arms, feeling their coldness. I felt the sting of safety. I didn't want to get out of his bed. I didn't want to leave. I didn't want him to go.

"Are you okay?" he whispered.

I shook my head, but I couldn't say a word.

"It's okay," he said, wrapping his arms tighter. "You can stay here. It's okay."

~

And just like that, for the next day, Ajax was my safe haven. I fell asleep in his arms, and around five, he woke me up for dinner.

On our way there, I didn't let go of his hand. I only did when we ate, and for the first time in two weeks, I ate dinner. Enid and Wednesday were both surprised. It was as if they didn't expect me to get out of bed. Yet, I still didn't say a word.

Ajax managed to sneak me into his room after dinner. Xavier and Enid knew I'd spent the night, and both managed to cover for me.

While I sat on his bed, he gave me one of his shirts, and I almost immediately fell in love with the smell of dark chocolate. It was like home to me.

I could wear that shirt with nothing but panties. That's how long it was. It was also comfortable. Grey with headphones printed on it.

We barely spoke the whole day, but I didn't mind, and neither did he. I enjoyed the silence. I enjoyed the peace. I enjoyed his company.

I enjoyed just falling asleep in his arms, knowing nothing could touche me there.