°twenty-two

꧁Eve꧂

Staring at my phone, I could barely move. 'See you soon.' That was a text from my mother. She barely ever texted me. I get it, she's busy, but she never texts me. The last text I got was on my birthday that really just read 'Happy Birthday Everlyn'. No emoji, or gif, or anything. Just those three simple words. 

When I asked what she meant, she read it, but didn't reply. She was really leaving me in the dark here. 

Mother was usually always busy. She sold houses for a living and made it her life. Aunt Penny basically raised me, but my mother would always get her panties in a twist when she saw Aunt Penny do it. She never had time for me. Never came to my school stuff. Never acknowledged me more than a good morning and goodnight kiss. Last time I even properly spoke to her was when she dropped me off at Nevermore. We walked through the woods for 'exercise', even though she rode back home in a taxi front Nevermore's front gates. She was careless honestly. 

Now, I sat at lunch, looking at this questionable text from my mother, who wasn't responding to the messages she was reading. 

"Maybe she meant for the break?" Ajax suggested. 

"No," I sighed. "I left her a voicemail saying I was going with you. She'd anyways not pick me up, Aunt Penny would've. This is just weird." 

"Could she maybe be on her way here now?" Enid asked. 

I shrugged. "I doubt. Why'd she even come here is a mystery. She hated this school, and she doesn't even care that much about me."

"That's a bit harsh," Enid said, but I just shrugged again. 

"It's my mother. She's just being herself."

"Hey." Xavier dropped down beside me on the bench in the quad. "You see Ryle's packing up?" he asked.

I nodded. "I know. He's leaving Nevermore. Moving in with his mom."

"Your Aunt Penny, right?" Enid asked.

"Yup."

I picked up my plate as I stood up, Ajax not so far behind me.

"Where's Wednesday?" I asked, looking at Enid.

"She went to Jericho. Said she had someone to talk to or something. I'm heading there once I'm done with lunch. I heard there's a new shop opening."

A soft smile appeared on my lips. "Enjoy. I'll see you guys tonight."

I took Ajax's hand, before walking with him to place our dishes in the cafeteria. I then walked with him to my room.

"We're going to get into trouble," he whispered.

I laughed softly. "We might. But we don't care."

He looked down at me, and my stomach exploded with butterflies. I was suddenly daring. Too daring.

"Then stay quiet," I whispered as we made our way up the stairs.

He chuckled. "Alright, alright."

When I opened my room, I was relieved to know that neither Wednesday nor Thing was in the room. It made me smile brighter.

"You know," Ajax said as I closed the door. "Everytime I come into your room, it seems to be smaller than before."

"Uh-huh?" I hummed, taking his hand again.

He nodded. "It's like it shrinks."

"Yeah?" I smirked softly, reversing him slowly to my bed.

"It's kind of sad that you have to share it."

"So sad," I whispered, before he suddenly sat down on my bed, finally meeting my eyes.

"And every time I come into your room," he said as I sat down on his lap, facing him. "You get even prettier."

"I do?" I asked, placing my hands on the side of his neck.

"Of course," he breathed as I neared his lips.

His hands grabbed a hold of my hips, his grip tightening as he pulled me closer to him.

"Kiss me," I teased, a small smile on my lips. "Please."

He chuckled, but didn't hesitate to lean a bit up, crashing his lips into mine. I melted. His hands moved to my waist, pulling me tighter. I melted more.

His tongue tasted like cherries and coffee. He ate a fruit salad with me at lunch.

Suddenly the door opened unannounced, and both my and Ajax's eyes flew towards the door. And to my surprise, my mother stepped inside the door, a frown appearing on her once smiling face.

"What on earth is happening here?" she asked, looking from me to Ajax.

Immediately I got off him, and he rushed to his feet.

"Mom?" I questioned. "What are you doing here?"

"Who are you?" she asked, looking at Ajax.

"Ajax, ma'am. Ajax Petropolus." I heard the panic in his voice.

Mom scoffed. "A gorgon, really? Have you no morals?"

"Mom!" I yelled, before turnig to Ajax. "I am so sorry, Ajax. I-"

"Everlyn Garcia Brooks. I hope-"

"Please just go," I begged, looking at Ajax.

I saw the panic in his eyes ad he nodded. While avoiding eye contact, and not even saying a word, he walked out of the room, and my mother closed the door behind him.

"I get here to surprise my only daughter, only to find her straddling some snake!"

"Mom! Stop!"

"And take that thing off your head!"

I immediately grabbed the beanie, pulling it off my head.

Mother scoffed. "This is what you do? I send you here to learn how to be a human being, and you end up causing nonsense with some filthy gorgon! I didn't raise you like this."

Alright. Now you know my mom. She doesn't care at all about me, until I'm doing something she dislikes. She a hypocrite, and she stereotypes everything and everyone. My mom.

"Everlyn, is this what I sent you to this school for?"

I scoffed. "Please. You wanted me off your paycheck."

"Excuse me!" she snapped. "Haven't you learned anything here? Nothing at all?"

I sighed. "Right mom. I apologize for being a teenager like everyone else in this school-"

"Where's Ryle?" she interrupted.

"I don't know," I said boldly. "It's not like I have a tracker on him twenty-four seven."

Mother rolled her eyes. "Right. Are you ready then?"

I frowned. "Ready for what?"

"We're leaving. Didn't you pack your bags?"

"What?"