°nine

Eve

"How can you not have a dress?" Enid asked in shock.

"Well, up until last night I didn't want to go to the dance."

I looked at her while she shovelled through her closet. Wednesday just looked at us blankly. What I had gathered, was that she had no interest in the dance; primarily because no one had asked her yet. Enid and I both knew that Xavier wanted to ask her. He just hadn't had the guts yet.

"Wait, so tell me about this normie," I said, looking at Enid again.

She shrugged. "They asked me. So, I said yes."

"That's odd, don't you think?" I asked, a light frown on my head.

She shrugged. "No. He knew about the dance and asked me. What's wrong with that?" She turned to look at me on my bed. 

"Nothing. It's just odd. Usually, the kids at Jericho don't like outcasts. I was just wondering why he'd want to go."

"Leave her," Wednesday said as she stood up from the chair behind her table. For a moment I was surprised that she'd stick up for Enid, until she continued: "Let her shame herself. He's probably plotting some disaster."

"Wednesday!" I snapped. "How bloody cold hearted are you?!"

"Last I checked, very."

"Not that you'd care. You're unable to see the world the way I do. Nothing is positive. You've just soaked into the small pool of sweetness, and now you're under the impression that the world is a nice place." -Wednesday.

I scoffed, reaching for my headphones, only to notice them missing. Then I remembered how soaked they were. They were probably soaking wet. My eyes fell onto Ajax's jacket, and it reminded me that he had my headphones around his neck when he left my room. 

"I'll be back in a bit," I said, standing up, grabbing his jacket. 

I left the room, not long after Wednesday had vanished to be honest. I made my way to the boys' dormitory areas, even though I had no idea where his room exactly was. 

"Oh, come on. It's not that hard." 

Their voice made me froze. That was the exact voice that spoke to me before I fainted. They were the telepath. 

"You say that now. Later, it won't be that easy." Xavier was with him. 

"Great, yeah. Whatever. Look, man, I have to go. I'll catch you later."

Then, my eyes caught these of a black-haired boy who made his way around the corner. Green eyes that penetrated my mind. I haven't seen him around Nevermore before, but the moment I tried reading his mind, I got shot out, on purpose.

"You," I frowned. 

He stopped walking, and I saw Xavier appear a few steps behind him. "Eve-"

"I don't think we've met," he grinned. "I'm Ryle. Everlyn, right?"

I lift an eyebrow. "Xavier didn't say my full name."

He grinned softly. "Right, sorry. I forgot."

"This is Ryle," Xavier said, stepping beside him. "He lives across me. Have you two met before?"

My frown didn't fade or vanish. I just kept glaring at Ryle. I couldn't read his mind, he knew my full name, and his voice was way too familiar. Ryle was the other telepath, for sure. 

"Why did you stalk me?" I asked bluntly, making Xavier frown. 

"Woah, Eve. That's-"

"What do you want from me?" I asked, glaring at Ryle. "I mean, I definitely spiked your interest. What is it you want?"