°eight

Ajax

I grabbed her hand, before I started running, pulling her after me into the rain. I couldn't see anything, but at least I knew where we were going. She didn't hesitate. She just followed.

I pulled her under the nearest roof I could find, which I then figured to be the post office. Then she started laughing, looking up at me. She was soaked from head to toe, yet still smiling brightly. I smiled softly. That's when my eyes fell onto her headphones.

"Shit, Evie! Your headphones!" I said, slipping them off her neck.

She smiled, looking at them. "It's fine. They're just headphones."

Something about her reaction made me smile again. I placed her headphones down on the nearest counter, before looking out, over the soaking road. I couldn't see further than three shops, due to the heavy rain. The same when I looked left. And when I looked at Evie again, she had leaned back against the post office's glass door, a bright smile on her lips.

"You okay?" I asked, stepping beside her, leaning against the glass door as well.

She laughed lightly. "Oh, you don't understand how quiet my mind is right now."

A light frown appeared on my face, even though I was still smiling. "Quiet? Are you hearing this storm?" I asked, a laugh leaving my lips.

"That's not what I meant," she smiled. "There's no one here. Everyone is in their little houses, and the rain is mushing out their thoughts. It's like I have noise-cancelling headphones on, with rain playing in the background, and you on call. It's the best feeling ever!"

She stepped forward, giving a twirl in the little open space there was between the doors and the rain. She pushed her soaking hair back, a bright smile still on her face.

My heart heated up as I looked at her. I don't deserve this view. She was perfect.

"I don't even want to go back," she admitted.

I chuckled, standing up straight again. "Well unfortunately we have to get back, Evie. Weems will be hysterical."

"That's if she realized we're gone!"

I laughed. "Thornhill does your rounds, right? She'll notice."

"Enid will cover for me," she smiled. "And I'm sure Xavier will cover for you," she added.

She wasn't wrong. Xavier would indeed cover for me.

"At least just a few more minutes," she asked, giving me a begging look.

Another chuckle left my lips. "Sure. Just a couple. Something tells me we'll have to run back to the school."

A satisfied smile filled her lips while she turned to look at the rain. She wore a dress, short, but long enough. It was white, and it took me a couple of seconds to realise that it was a thin enough material to be see-through when wet. And she was soaking wet. From what I saw, not that I looked on purpose, she wore a black bra, and black underwear.

"Oh, isn't this lovely weather?" she asked, looking at me again.

My eyes flew up faster than I'd react to be hoodless. "Wonderful weather, yes," I said, clearing my throat. God, was I happy she couldn't read my mind.

She turned back around, and my eyes fell onto her bare shoulders. Immediately I slipped off my top-jacket, then the next, which was a lot dryer. I placed it on her shoulders, making her turn to me, a thankful smile appearing on her lips.

"Oh, thank you," she smiled.

She pulled it over her arms, a sweeter smile filling her lips. While I pulled my wet jacket back on, I looked at her; her eyes examining the rain. She looked lost in the clouds, literally.