Sucked by The Gate & Is This Forest?

(Nari POV)

Ugh, I hate it when I have to hide my true feelings and give up on what I want. It's like I'm always living in Hari Noona's shadow.

Why am I always second best after her? My parents even pay more attention to her because of her innocent face, as if I'm some mature adult who doesn't match my age.

"Nari, you should let go of that doll. Hari wants it too," they would say, expecting me to understand because I'm supposedly smart.

Even though it goes against my heart, I can't help but be captivated by Hari Noona's innocence. "Okay, Mom and Dad, I understand," I would reply with a fake smile, enduring the annoyance.

But despite that, I still have a soft spot for Hari Noona, even though my parents frustrate me.

And time flies... Now I'm eleven, and I've grown used to this kind of life.

My plan for the future is to attend junior high school next year and work hard to graduate from college. I want to become an idol and live independently from my parents.

So far, my plan is going perfectly. I'm the top student in my school, which will help me get into a good school next year.

Currently, my family lives in New York because of my parents' work situation. They have to manage the Yoo family's branch company in America. That's why Hari Noona and I have to attend school here.

As for Soohyun Noona, she's quite strange and wild. I don't understand why she chose to study in America when she could have stayed in Korea.

...

Another ordinary day goes by. Soohyun Unnie takes the two of us for a walk in the park near our apartment complex.

It's not a bad idea, especially considering how scary the world has become.

But I can't help but get annoyed with Soohyun Unnie. She's always babbling about her idol or something, and I just can't relate to any of it.

I wonder if I would act the same if I were her age. The thought makes me want to vomit.

Sigh... I just want to clear my mind, enjoy the scenery of Central Park, and have some vanilla ice cream.

"Here's your vanilla ice cream, little lady," the vendor hands me my favorite treat.

"Thank you," I reply with a smile as I take the ice cream. Then, I go over to where my sister is sitting. But it seems they don't even notice my presence.

"Hari, look at this! The way he swings his sword and the lightning surrounding him is so cool! KYAA!" Soohyun Unnie rambles excitedly.

"Shhh... Soohyun, don't shout like that suddenly," Hari Noona reminds her, trying to maintain our public image.

Looking at the two of them, I can't help but feel that Soohyun Unnie seems more like the little sister compared to me.

Sighing, I leave my seat and walk out of the ice cream shop. I'm annoyed that I'm practically invisible to them.

Ring, ring... The doorbell of the shop chimes, and I expect them to realize I'm not with them, but apparently not.

"Well, I'll take a walk and head back to the apartment. Why not?" Since I'm in a bad mood, I just want to go home. I'll take a short walk in the park on my way.

The park is about two blocks away from the ice cream shop, and I know some shortcuts because I'm familiar with the area.

I'm almost there now, just walking down a narrow alley.