England in Chaos Part II

For one week during the war with demons, England continued to lose. England is one of the countries with a centralized guild system; therefore, there is only one guild operating in England, the English Royal Guild.

In addition to their land, many of their hunters died as a result of the destruction of their defense system. Thus, Lancaster, as guildmaster and commander, implemented a strategy of "cutting his own tail," meaning surrendering Scotland.

The question is, where is the help from other countries?

They claimed that because we were still traumatized by Kamish, they did not send hunters and instead guarded their respective homes.

...

-English Royal Guild Emergency Headquarters in Carlisle-

"Sir Lancaster, we just received satellite images of about 500,000 demon troops moving towards Blackbank!"

Like being doused in cold water during a snowstorm, that sentence made the entire commander's control room freeze.

That number might have been a different story if they were just ordinary humans with no magical powers.

But that army was a monster with magic powers that could not be killed with modern weapons.

Lancaster frowned, and he thought...

Should I attack or defend?

Throughout his life for thirty years, he had a great career in the military, but then his life changed drastically after experiencing a weakening and becoming the strongest S-rank hunter in England.

But his straightforward and curious character made him always wonder what was behind the gates that mysteriously appeared.

Humanity has always said that the gates are otherworldly enemies that will take over the earth.

"What do you think the enemy is?"

For the past three years, he has always asked this question himself and his colleagues.

They said. "Of course, the monster that came out of the gate, commander."

People seemed to have swallowed that as fact, and only a few of his colleagues, acquaintances, or experts in the field have the same question as him. Lancaster was often labeled crazy because he was so hungry for the theories behind them.

"Commander!"

"Uh? sorry..."

Lancaster was startled by his subordinate's shout.

Then he looked at the large screen that displayed many crosses on the land of Scotland.

'Father, is there still hope for us?'

He only had one family member during his lifetime, his father, who was an archaeologist and ancient language scientist, and he died while trying to research magical animals up close.

"Is there any news from the princess?"

"No commander, it seems even national-level hunters are rejecting all our offers."

With a resigned tone, the man reported that to Lancaster.

'Heh... So we're on our own huh.'

Lancester couldn't help his sarcasm; after all, if lives were at stake, even national-level hunters would be reluctant to help.

But his obsession with the story behind the gate crossed the boundaries of his fear as a human. It kept him in control of his sanity as he carried out his responsibilities as Commander of the English Royal Guild.