Chapter 2: The Document

Erwin's POV

"I saw everything just now.Erwin, are you sure about this?I don't think Flagon will agree with your plan, especially if commander Shadis accepts it he might bursts out".Mike stared at Erwin hoping his best friend changes his mind. Unluckily, it failed as Erwin nodded his head and smiled.

"I've figure out everything Mike. The 3 ODM gear they wore before came from the above ground. They probably stole it from the military polices who are on duty at the underground". Erwin stood up walking towards the window beside Mike.

"I'll tell commander to let the three of them join survey corp. After all, I'm sure they'll be the great use of us since we already tested their ODM skills when they fought the military polices before. My reasons will come out after Flagon finishes his dissatisfaction".

Although Erwin looked unsure with what commander Shadis would say ad yet he still wanted to proceed it. Mike sighed. How will this sort of plan turns out?

He walked out of the room and opened the door while turning his head to Erwin. "If you need a hand,I'm here". His words made Erwin chuckled. "I know you'll always stay by my side no matter what Mike. I appreciated it". The door closed.
-----------------------------------------

That Afternoon

The squad leaders gathered in commander Shadis's office. They listened to Erwin's plan in recruiting the three underground citizens to join the scout regiment and as expected, most of them disagree with his plan.

"What kind of bullshit is this?Erwin, you do realized that they're criminals. They stole the ODM gears and some other stuffs and yet you tell us to let them slip and join military forces"? Flagon smashed his fist on the table.

"If you ask me, I might accept them if they bring benefits to me. Still, I don't think to recruit a troublesome peoples who are against the law into the scout regiment is a good idea". Hange hummed to herself.

"I agree with Erwin. I saw the three of them used the ODM gear skillfully.I could say they have better experiences than us up here. Until now, we never see any soldiers with that kind of skills in this regiment. Not to mention one of them is good in combat. Maybe that's the reason why Erwin insisted on bringing the three of them in".Mike said while sniffing the air. That made Erwin nodded his head in agreement.

Commander Shadis,who sat in front all of them was now shifted his head to Erwin. "If we compare the talents that they have I could say that all of you're no match for him". Flagon gritted his teeth. What was commander thinking agreeing with criminals for the sake of humanity? He glared at Erwin meanwhile the blondie doesn't even flinch at him.

"But let me ask you this,Erwin. This might be your whole plan to let them join us. What if they refuse"? Erwin already expected this kind of question would pop out from the commander's mind so he's prepared a lot of threat to manipulate the three of them. "All of us know the three of them are criminals. They have no choice but to accept unwillingly. If things go smoother then we're lucky. If not, I'll let Military police take over and they won't get special treatment.Unless if their leader starts to plead then they will accept my request".

The room was silenced. Even Commander Shadis doesn't expect for Erwin to be this cold and evil. That means Erwin truly saw the potentials of survey corp in the future if those underground mice join the regiment. Shadis sighed. "I guess we don't have much choice but to try Erwin's gamble this time.I would like to see the result so do as you please.I hope you won't cause any trouble, Erwin". Shadis rubbed his forehead. "I won't".

The squad leaders also nodded in agreement except Flagon but he has no choice but to obey and watch his rival's plan. "I'll proceed to our next agenda.We've received a document from the military police commander, Nile Dawk about one of the above ground baron named Lobov. He's planning to buy the underground district with high price. He does deal with the underground military police and negotiate about the price range they want. In return, the underground district will fall in his hand".All of them gasped.

"Wait what's he planning?This is Trost. Trost's been divided into two which is the above ground and the underground so why's he wanted to conquer both district?Does he have something up in his sleeve?Perhaps to gain more power and become a ruler of Trost"?Hange shouted unsatisfied with the statement.

"That's what I suspected. If he's a normal and trustworthy baron then I might accept him to be our ruler. The thing is Lobov has a lot of bad records and blacklist in trespassing weapons and alcohols. Not just that,looks like he has a good connection with underground thugs as well". Erwin's eyes widen. 'Good connection with the underground thugs...Could it be'--Erwin's mind traveled to the raven haired man with his two comrade. He silently prayed they're other thugs and not the three of them.

Mike saw Erwin's worry face and immediately interfered." So what you want us to do, commander"?Shadis tilted his head up to Erwin. "I need some of the squad leaders to handle this investigation until it's done". That's when Erwin's face turned from gloomy to the brightest one. He could use this opportunity to slip into the underground and meet the shorty again. Looks like this case is actually related to one and another. He smirked.

"Leave it to me, sir".All of them glanced at Erwin as the blonde immediately saluted and placed his fist on his chest. His ocean blue orbs shines brightly showing some confidence before shifting to Mike and Flagon. The nose guy understood the assignment and immediately does a salute towards his commander. "I, Mike Zacharius will assist Erwin Smith in this investigation along with Flagon".

Flagon nodded in agreement since the thing that crossed his mind was about how he could see these three skillful underground thieves reacted to Erwin's threat. "I'm Flagon will also assist the two of them in conducting the investigation".

Commander Shadis hummed in response and immediately took out a document from his drawer. "This is the conversation between Lobov's right hand man with the underground police.We're lucky that the two of them doesn't accept his offer. They reported it right after the man go away".

Erwin took the document and read it carefully. He suddenly got an idea to start the case." I was hoping we could meet Lobov and negotiate with him first".Shadis blinked followed by the other squad leaders.

"Erwin, you do realize that it's useless to have a nice talk with him. Unless you have some kind of plan wandering in your mind"? Shadis cocked his brows and he saw Erwin smiled."I do have some plans. Leave it to me".
-----------------------------------------

After the meting ended

"So here's what we're going to do". Erwin tells them how he and Lobov will have a talk in specific carriage meanwhile Mike and Flagon will be his guard. Mike doesn't expect to be the carriage rider meanwhile flagon will be the one who waits for them to arrive at the destination which is basically near to Lobov's house.

"Roger that".Erwin rolled the paper and placed it right through his belt. "We'll commence this plan right after I send the invitation letter to Lobov". He wrote something on a piece of paper and placed a stamp on it. The two of them watched him while reading the contents.
-----------------
To the baron of Trost, Mr.Lobov,

I, the Commander of the Survey corp, Keith Shadis would like to invite you to have a nice evening chat inside the carriage provided by one of my man. I would like to know the details about your intentions in buying underground district. Since I have a good connection with the Military police, I could let my men negotiate with them. For details, I'll explain tomorrow.I'm looking forward to our confrontation.

Yours sincerely,
KEITH SHADIS
-----------------

The two of them blinked."Why did you put commander's name?He doesn't know about this right"?Flagon asked. "And what if they starts aiming that old man out of blue? He's innocent at this point.Unless you can guarantee that they will never harm him"?Mike said while sniffing the air.

"I'm sure they won't.No actions can be take unless after they received Lobov's order. And tomorrow he'll be alone with me. I'll monitor him until the end. Flagon, you take his right man and monitor him.I believe he could be the second person in command". As much as he hates Erwin, Flagon admitted that Erwin has sharper mind than him so he gave up. "I got it".

Erwin nodded."Send this to him. I'll hand over the document towards Nile to confirm the details.Mike,follow me".