8.

suki

"Alright boys!" I called out before blowing my whistle. "That's it for tonight, be sure to stretch properly before you start cleaning the gym. I don't want any of you getting hurt."

"How do these look senpai?" Sasaki asked as she handed me her notebook.

"This looks amazing Sasaki-chan!" I praised. "You're catching on so quick! Your observation skills are going to really come in handy. You even picked up on a couple of things that I missed and it's only been a week!"

"Thank you senpai," the first year blushed as she went to pass out water bottles to the boys.

"Yo, Tanaka-senpai," Niiama waved as he walked over. "I have a few ideas for the endurance training you want the boys to work on."

"That sounds great! Make sure to write them down for me and we can look them over in the morning and decide how to use them," I smiled as I ruffled his hair. "Go make sure they're all stretching properly while I talk with the coaches please. Especially Kenma, tell him that if he doesn't stretch right that I'll hide all of his games for a week."

"You got it boss," he lazily saluted before walking over to join Sasaki and the team. I made my way over to the bench with a huge smile on my face.

"I take it you're liking the new recruits?" Nekomata asked with a small smile.

"I love those kids already," I grinned. "Sasaki-chan is so adorable and sweet, and her observation skills are impeccable. Niiama-chan is laid back, but hard working, plus he seems genuinely interested in the sport. I can see how him and Shiba-chan are best friends, they balance each other out very well."

"I did get a peek at young Sasaki's notes, and I must admit they're very impressive for her first week with the sport. She also asked a lot of questions about positions and rules and took notes on those as well to help her better learn more. I also like the way Niiama-kun is able to calm the first years when they get rowdy. Plus it's as you said, he seems to really enjoy being around the sport. I think they're both wonderful additions to the team," coach Nekomata agreed.

"So when do you plan on telling the boys?" Naoi asked as he set down his clipboard. I let out a deep sigh.

"I'm not sure honestly. Maybe after practice once I announce Sasaki and Niiama as the new official managers," I explained with a sad smile. "I may wait until after prelims so I don't add any extra stress to them. I haven't decided yet."

"I know you're going to miss them, but it will be good for you to start playing again. I know how much you miss it," Nekomata reassured.

"And don't worry about this lot, we'll be at all of your games to cheer you on, just like I know you'll do for them," coach Naoi added on as he ruffled my hair, causing me to laugh. "Now go get everyone settled down, the boys are finished cleaning up and I know you have some announcements about the upcoming tournament."

"Alright boys! And Sasaki-chan," I added on with a playful wink. "Gather round. We got the schedule for the first round of interhigh prelims today."

Everyone was quick to gather around. We all sat in a circle in the middle of the gym. Once they were all looking up at me expectedly, I began to speak again.

"The way the cards fell this year, we'll end up against Fukurōdani for semifinals when you make it there," I explained seriously. "I know it can be easy to fall into a sense of comfort seeing as we play so often together and have friends on the team, but you can't let that happen. We have to take the match as seriously as we would any other, because let's be completely honest, if we get complacent Bokuto and the rest of Fukurōdani will destroy us."