Chapter 20: Get on your side of the road, man

Croatoan 2

"Wait, you said Jake helped him?" Dr. Lee asks Mrs. Tanner. "Your son Jake?"

Mrs. Tanner nods. "They beat me. Tied me up."

"I don't believe it." The nurse says from across the room.

"Pam." Dr. Lee glances over at her. "Beverly, you have any idea why they would act this way? Any history of chemical dependency?"

"No, of course now. I don't know why. One minute, they were my husband and my son...and the next they had the devil in them."

Dean glances at Sam and Alexis. "We gotta talk." He mutters, walking out of the room. Sam and Alexis follow.

"Those guys were whacked out of their gourds." Dean says.

"What do you think? Multiple demons, mass possession?" Sam asks.

"Maybe, but something feels...wrong here." Alexis taps her fingers against her thigh.

"If its a mass possession, there could be more. God knows how many." Dean looks between the two. "It could be like a friggin' Shriner convention."

"Great." Sam stuffs his hands in his pockets.

"That's one way to wipe out a whole town. Take it from the inside."

"Yeah, and demons have the time to do that." Alexis crosses her arms over chest.

"I don't know, man. We didn't see any demon smoke or any of the other usual signs." Sam shakes his head.

"Well, whatever. Something turned him into a monster." Dean pauses. "If you'd taken out the other one, there'd be one less to worry about."

Alexis sighs, pushing herself up to sit on the front desk.

"I'm sorry, alright? I hesitated, Dean. It was a kid." Sam argues.

"No, it was an it. Not the best time for a bleeding heart, Sam."

Footsteps grab the hunters attention.

"How's the patient?" Sam asks Dr. Lee as she walk in.

"Terrible. What the hell happened out there?"

"We don't know." Dean shrugs.

"Yeah, well, you just killed my next door neighbor."

"Hey, he was killing his wife. Probably would've come after you eventually." Alexis crosses her arms over her chest.

"She's right. Didn't have a choice." Dean says.

"Maybe so, but we need the county sheriff. I need the coroner." Dr. Lee tells them.

"Phones are down." Sam states.

"I know, I tried. Tell me you got police radio."

"We do. But it crapped out, like everything else." Sam answers.

"I don't understand, what's happening?"

"How far is the next town?" Alexis asks.

"About 40 miles down to Sidewinder." Dr. Lee glances at her.

"Alright, I'll go there and see if I can find some help. My partner'll stick around, keep you guys safe." Dean pats Sam's shoulder. Alexis hops down from the counter, following Dean toward the door.

"I'll go with you." Alexis shoves her hands in her coat pockets.

"Safe from what?" Dr. Lee asks causing the two to turn around.