2. Reunited

Emilia Santana

Andre Santana stood before his daughter, his cheeks warm with love and adoration and his arms full of happiness and fulfilment. It was only then did Emilia realise how much she was missed, how her father hadn't changed an ounce when she was gone. 'I've missed you Emilia, I am so glad you are home' he repeated, his voice laced with happiness and remorse.  She smiled in his arms, her hands patting his back in comfort, similar to how Rigo had done earlier to her. 'I am glad to be home papa' she said finally with a great sigh. Although this place was not familiar to her, she was glad to be here, she hated those long days in Spain away from her family.

—-
'So how did Spain treat you?' Roderigo asked. Their family sat around their table catching up on lost time. 'It was fine, it didn't compare to home but i'm just glad to be back' Emilia said untruthfully. Her time away in Spain was far from fine but now wasn't the time to speak about it, she would bring it up another time. 'And did you make any friends?' Roderigo asked curiously. It made Emilia's brow raise, she never remembered him to pester and ask many questions but she put it down to her being away for many years. 'Sí, just a few' the girl said, her eyes darting between the two men before her.

'No male ones i hope... You are too young for that sort of thing' Andres announced, his voice strong with concern and his brow now mirroring his daughters. Emilia could only roll her eyes, it was rich of her father to say such a thing when she knew the whole purpose of her being back was to wed her off to any sad sock who would have her. 'No papa, I only had female friends as you did send me to an all girls school' she reminded, her voice annoyed. 'Aah good- come with me, you should see your room' he diverted, feeling the slight annoyance in his daugthers voice.

The three of them went up the clear staircase, that spiralled to the upper landing before walking to the end of a long hallway. 'This is your room hija, I had it decorated but if you want to change anything let me know' her father said kindly, kissing her on the head before ushering her inside the room. It was large in size, with a round queen size bed to match. The champagne theme within Emilia's room was designed for royalty, she had never in her whole life been met with such extravagance.

'Wow' she finally uttered, sitting down on the edge of the bed, her eyes drinking in the walk in wardrobe and en suite bathroom. 'This is all mine?' she asked skeptically, her eyes looking towards her father and brother. 'Si mi flor, it is all for you' Andres Santana said, a kind smile on his face. 'I will leave you to settle in, I have already stocked your room with things and the staff will bring up your belongings' he said finally before leaving her alone.

-----

Emilia woke the next day, her body well rested and her soul at peace. She still believed she was in a fever dream, her heart swollen with joy that she was with her family once again. After following through with a quick morning routine, she put on her robe and slippers before heading down the stairs. Nothing could ruin Emilia's morning, happiness and realisation revelled in her skin as she took one fluffy step at a time, but the sounds of deep rumbling voices halted her movement. Her eyes scanning the once empty living space yesterday, now filled with a group of men in black suits and dark hair.

'Emi!' Roderigo sounded, rushing to his sister who looked like a deer in headlights. Emilia hadn't been around this many men in her entire life and after five sheltered years away she felt exposed, naked under their eyes. 'You're awake, why don't you go to the kitchen and eat? Ms Paswell is there' Rigo implied, pushing her slightly in that direction. She nodded ever so slightly before walking over to the kitchen table. 'Ms Paswell!' Emilia sounded, rushing into her arms. Lettie Paswell had been their family's chef for many many years, she was Emilia's safe haven.

'Oh sweetie, I am so happy you have returned! You look as beautiful as the day you left! Sit and eat something!' Ms Paswell said. They spent the time eating and catching up, Ms Paswell telling Emilia how much she missed her and how dull life became for her as she left for Spain. Yet despite the wonderful conversation she could feel the stares of beady eyes burning into her back, branding her with looks of hysteria as they looked over her body. Emilia Santana was real, she wasn't a myth and she was truly hidden very well by her father. Many believed her to be a story but it indeed was reality

Turning her head slightly, she caught eyes with a few. Brown, black and hazel eyes drinking in her appearance. Her naturally opaque black hair with crystal blue eyes to match, her olive skin and slender waist easy on the eyes. 'Don't pay them any mind dear, don't let them see your fear' Lettie said, her slightly wrinkled hands placed over Emilia's. All the girl could do was nod, nod at the words of the older lady who had witnessed more. Don't let them in. Don't show them fear.

It dawned upon Emilia, she was no longer the hidden and small fourteen year old girl. She was a woman now, ripe and ready for the taking for these made men. Innocence was long past her.

Dillion appeared just behind her, his hand falling gently on her shoulder. 'Emilia, you have some post' He handed her a pile of letters as well as a white box. 'In there is a new phone for you. I noticed you didn't have one when you returned' She thanked him before pulling open the letters, intrigued at who they could be from. 'Dillion... what is this ball it talks of?' Emilia asked, noticing that the letters she had recieved were invites to her and her family.

'It is best you ask for your father' he winced. Emilia rose to her feet and walked quickly to her fathers office. 'Papa, what are these letters?' she asked instantly, not bothering with a greeting or formalities. 'They are for a ball we must attend tomorrow, mi flor' he replied, not lifting his eyes from the paper he was reading. 'Yes but what is the ball for?' she said impatiently, annoyed that her father was trying to with hold information from her. 'The mafia organisations have a tradition. When ones daughters reach a certain age we must present them and allow other made men a chance to ''court you'' ' he explained boredly.

'Unfortunately, in mafia terms you are of marriage age and eligible for this sort of thing. We have to go otherwise we can receive harsh action from the core. It is no more than a formality hija, after then we will return home and carry on with our life'. If it was up to Andres Santana, he would have Emilia live with him until old age. Despite what she thought, he loved her so much, maybe even more so than his two sons but he knew she would have to marry a made man.

'Hija, I will always consider you in my decisions. I know so far you believe I do not trust your feelings or respect your wishes but all I wish is for you to be safe and comfortable. There will be a lot I do that you do not like but always consider I do it for your best interest' he consoled, his hands in hers as he looked at her. Emilia could see the truth in his eyes, her father was never one to lie but he had never spoken this plainly to her before. 'Okay papa' she replied, hugging him.

The Santana girl decided to trust him, she knew that he wanted her safe and happy. 'Am I interrupting something?' came a haughty voice, which caused Emilia to jump out of her fathers arms and rush towards it. 'Fabian!' she yelled, her voice joyful as she jumped into his arms. 'Fucking hell, you are heavy' he groaned, supporting her weight as he kissed her head. 'I rushed back so you could finally see your favourite sibling'

Unlike his siblings Fabian Santana took after his mother. His deep brown hair and golden eyes were the spitting image of what his mother once was, showing his Spanish roots through and through. He was lighthearted and unserious, two things Emilia loved about him so much, his ability to make her smile warmed her heart. 'We have so much to catch up on Emi but first you have to be ready for this ball tomorrow'