10. Wedding Dress

Emilia's ears burned hot with anger, her heart furiously begging to escape her chest as she fled the room of her sentencing. 'Emilia you will marry Lorenzo Valetti' that sentence haunted her, it bounced around in her mind, reminding her that her life was not her own. Her father never brought her home for a loving reunion, he never cared to make up for lost time. She was a pawn on the chessboard, one that was moved around and sacrificed to keep the higher powers safe. 'Emi, wait!' came the voice of one of her brothers, in truth she was so livid all noise but the blood in her body was silenced.

Fabian grabbed on to her hand, pulling her to a halt. His eyes swirled with an unusual sadness to them, as his hand gripped her forearm, not letting go. 'What do you want?' Emilia spat, her rage uncontrollable. Fabian's grip loosened, shocked at the tone of his sisters voice. It was unrecognisable, the soft face he saw each day was hardened with hatred. 'We didn't want it to be this way. Papa had no choice' he begged, his voice weak and stressed. 'There is always a choice! He chose to send me away for years in exile and now he chooses to send me away to the first buyer. Do not speak to me about choices!' Emilia yelled. Her hands shook in detest, wishing to squeeze the words from her brothers throat. He didn't know what it was like, he will never know what it is like.

'You don't understand business Emilia' Roderigo's cool voice cut through the air but Emilia's wrath was too thick to be penetrated. She stalked towards him, her cool blue eyes blazing like blue flames on a hob, causing Roderigo's pupils to boil under her heat. 'Then tell me about business Roderigo. Tell me what is more important than losing your only sister' The damsels words bounced on the walls, filling the atmosphere with an unbreakable mute before she left her brothers behind, and paced up the staircase. She could hardly take it, her throat closed as her eyes swelled with precious tears, leaking from the blue lakes of her pupils. This was what betrayal was.

Grabbing on the door handle, she slammed it closed behind her. No longer a Santana, no longer free. Her soul reminded her but in truth she never was a Santana, she was merely their asset. One to sell once it had reached its estimation and when the clock struck on her eighteenth birthday her father was ready to cash in. Tearing off her heels and dress, Emilia stepped in the shower, scrubbing the molten fury from her skin. She tried to calm herself with bath salts and scented shampoos but none filled the aching pain in her chest. The pain that reminded her that her wings were clipped, feathers plucked and beak sealed. Emilia would never fly to the heights she wished to be.

After drying herself off, she climbed in bed. Her eyes looking out the large window before a knock interrupted her thoughts. 'Emilia?' said the serpents voice, the sound of it still commanded her body but now in a way of utter fear. Lorenzo was in her bedroom, his shirt open and body on display. His hair was ruffled and his fingers massaged his stubble in stress. 'I've come to check on you farfalla' he lulled, concern lacing his voice. The raven haired girl stayed silent, her eyes watching him like a hawk as he came towards her bed, the weight of him causing the mattress to sink. 'Per fevore tesoro... talk to me' his hand opened in front of her, aching for her touch. 'I just want to talk'

'What about? Surely this favours you?' Emilia scoffed, her hands in a tight fist on her lap. She sat up now, the duvet resting on her waist. Lorenzo's eyes quickly sweeped her body, she wore a champagne night dress, the thin straps blending with her tanned skin and material holding her warm supple breasts underneath the silk cloth. He couldn't help himself, he couldn't help how his resolve ceased to exist when she was in his midst. 'It doesn't actually. I knew i would marry one day but not so soon' he answered, clearing his throat. Emilia's eyes softened at his words, her pupils navigating through the dark abyss of his eyes. 'In truth i never wished to marry but my father has been adamant about it but if i am honest...' his hands slipped into hers, her once fisted hands now held in his warmth. 'If i am to marry anyone, I'm happy it is at least you' he confessed, his plump lips kissing the back of her hand.

———

Emilia stood on the podium, her hands grabbing the lace of the big wedding dress. She didn't like it. She hated it and there was no way she would wear it down the aisle. After her betrothal, Emilia flew back to New York without her family, only Dillion accompanying her. She couldn't stand the thought of being in the same room as her father and brothers, it pained her as she loved them so much but her heart ached for the decision they made. There would be no discussion, no pleading with her father or begging her brothers, she would marry Lorenzo Valetti and join their families in a lifelong alliance.

She understood how important this was, how it meant life or death, how it protected her and the people who worked for her father but it meant signing away the possibility of love. 'I don't really like that one Emi, it's a bit too old for you' Mariah said, her lips pursed and hands under her chin. Her brown hair swayed as she spoke and ever light eyes shimmered with distaste at the dress she recommended. 'I agree with Mariah, doesn't suit you as much' replied Camilla. Emilia huffed, her cousins were right the dress was awful. 'I think it suits someone like you' voiced her other cousin Carmen. In truth, Emilia did not care for her. Carmen was older than the three girls by five years and despite her being a Santana her jealousy drove her from her family. Yet they endured her, I think they all hated to be with her as much as she hated to be with them.

'I'll try something else' Emilia said, ignoring her latter cousins snarky comment. Strolling to the changing room, she shrugged off the lace dress, leaving it a puddle by her feet. She couldn't stop this feeling, this painful betrayal humming in her chest. 'Emi?' called Camilla, her familiar black hair long and behind her ears. 'Are you ok prima?' she asked, her hands rubbing Emilia's bare arms as she took in sharp breaths. Camilla didn't need to ask much, she knew from her cousins hardened face, the shallow pools of her eyes which had emptied rivers of tears when she met her at the airport that all was not well. 'I don't want to do this, I don't think I can do this' she cried, a sob coming from her lips as she fell into Camilla's arms. 'I know this is hard and I know I don't know how you feel but I will be here for you always Emi' she cooed

'Lorenzo... I've seen him turn down many women, even our little demon cousin Carmen but he seems smitten with you. He would protect you' she confessed. Emilia looked back at her cousin, shock written over her face. 'H-he and C-carmen?' Emilia stuttered, her voice breaking under the thought that her cousin had the joy of knowing Lorenzo on a level she never would. Knowing that she was the burden he would be stuck with all of his life whilst Carmen was a free choice. 'He never showed her interest, in fact he flat out rejected her many times before he even knew of your existence. She is no competitor' Camilla smiled. It felt wrong to speak of family this way but Carmen had always made her dislike for her baby cousin known. 'I know it prima, I know you will be safe with him plus we will still be close to each other.' Camilla consoled, her fingers wiping away the small tears from Emilia's eyes. 

'Now try on this dress, it was made for you' she hummed, a kind smile on her face which made Emilia giggle. She stepped out of the puddle of lace by her feet and inspected the beautiful white gown in front of her. 'It's beautiful...' she murmured, her fingers tracing the beautiful beading along the corset before she helped herself into it. Emilia could not believe herself, she could not believe how beautiful she truly looked in such a stunning dress. It hugged her waist comfortably, showing her natural figure beneath the slightly sheer material. Her chest settled underneath the bodice, her heart slightly pounding as her eyes caught her reflection. 

'Wow!' Mariah exclaimed, her hands covering her mouth in shock. The eyes of her cousins watched her as she straightened her back and shoulders rolled. 'You look ethereal' Camilla complimented, now sitting where she was before, her eyes tinged with tears. Emilia smiled weakly at them, if she were to marry Lorenzo Valetti, this would be the dress she would wear.