20. The Russian Declaration

PLEASE VOTE & COMMENT

Emilia sat in her office with Melissa, the two of them looking through pages and pages of designs as they prepared for their upcoming deadline. 'What about this one? I can pull it from the archives?' Melissa asked, her finger pointing to the bright yellow dress in the book. 'That would be perfect. I think it fits the theme perfectly' Emilia smiled, pulling the book closer to herself as she circled the image with a bright pink pen. The two women spent the afternoon chatting and planning, their heads bowed into books and fingers writing down studious details. That was until a small ring sounded in the office. 'I will answer it!' Melissa chirped, a broad smile on her face

'Hello? This is Mrs Valetti's office, how may I help you?' She spoke professionally, her voice calm and soft. 'Oh. I will ask her now, I wasn't aware there would be visitors today' Melissa frowned, placing the phone in the crook of neck as she turned to Emilia expectantly. 'There's a gentleman downstairs who said he needs to see you. His name is Lvov Ivanov' Melissa spoke, confusion on her face as the unfamiliar name didn't ring true in her mind. Emilia's eyes looked up quickly to her assistant, her face mirroring the confusion. 'W-what?' Emilia stuttered, her back straightening. She hadn't seen the tall Russian since that fateful night at the gala and yet here he was, downstairs in her lobby. 'I-' Emilia stuttered, pure shock flooding through her body.

'I will go downstairs. Do not let him up here' She instructed, her shoulders rolling forward. Emilia knew that her husband would be displeased, she knew that he would want her to haul him from the lobby but she also didn't want to make a scene. 'Call my husband and let him know please Melissa' Emilia smiled, her eyes wobbling with uncertainty. 'Is everything ok? I can go down and tell him you are unavailable?' Melissa saw the frigidness on her bosses face, how Emilia's calm demanour was now poisoned with stress. 'It is fine. If I don't go down it will happen again, message security and ask that from today he doesn't have access to this building'

Emilia walked quickly to the lift, combing her hair into place as the lift descended floor by floor. How was he here? She dreaded Lorenzo's reaction once he found out. She knew that he had people around her at all times, even when she didn't think they were there but yet still his worst enemy was able to get this close. The lift door opens. 'Mr Ivanov. What can I do for you?' she spoke instantly, her eyes caught sight of him straight away. He stood out like a sore thumb in his deep brown suit and cunning green eyes scanning every inch of her body. 'So cold krasivaya. You wasn't always like this' he lulled, a deep smirk etched on his face. Lvov stepped forward, his stride strong and with purpose as his hand reached for Emilia's pulling it towards his lips.

'Well, when one disturbs me whilst I am particularly busy I am quite prickly' Emilia sneered, pulling her hand back to her side. 'What are you doing here Mr Ivanov? I am married and you and my husband sure aren't friends. This is inappropriate' Emilia stated, her chest heaving with fear and anticipation as she stood in front of this man. In truth, she had never felt comfortable in his presence, he had always unnerved her. Maybe it was the way his bright green eyes searched her soul or how his dominating stance overpowered her but she always knew that he was trouble.

'I just wanted to speak with you, to let you know that i am not giving up' he smiled, his eyes genuine and true. Emilia's stomach turned at his words, understanding the weight of what he had said. 'Fight for what? There is nothing to fight for' Emilia shot back, her temper rising. Since coming back to New York her life had been nothing she expected it to be, she had been forced to marry, to give up many things but she be damned that a man she hardly knew would now tell her to go down a different route. 'You being married means nothing to me darling. Your marriage is null and void to me' Lvov declared, his mouth by Emilia's ear. He hovered over her like a fly over fruits but she quickly stepped away, the removal of her presence like a swatting hand.

'My marriage was an oath made before God. You would be a fool to take on him' Emilia scowled, the pure annoyance one her face. 'God is no match for me darling. I will have you, I know it' he smiled brightly at her. His words of truth making his heart pound into a foolish pattern of love. Emilia could see it in his eyes, how the deep emerald green shon with obsession for her, she knew that he wouldn't retract his claws until he was dead. 'Well darling. I came for a quick stop but I am sure I will see you soon. Until then' He looked after her for a little longer, a small chuckle leaving his lips at the discomfort he had caused before walking out the front doors and disappearing.

'Lock that door and do not let anyone in unless they can be identified. Send my husband and head of security up to my office when he arrives' Emilia spoke quickly to the receptionists. Long gone was the kind young lady who had stepped into the building with her father but now a stern and anxious woman. One whose fear filled the lobby and crawled up the walls like a maniac monster. The receptionist replied instantly but Emilia didn't bother to hear it, she rushed back to her office, her hand over her heart as she tried to calm the blistering pace that it beat at. 'Be calm Emi, be calm' she chanted over and over, her eyes closed shut as she tried to concentrate on anything other than the overwhelming fear that Lvov has cast on her.

She knew nothing of the organisation, she knew nothing of the familia or the codes but she knew what his words meant. She knew that blood would be shed, that men would be slain and families broken. And although she trusted her father and her husband she feared that this dragon was too much for them, her fragile heart worried that Lvov's words were the first nail in the coffin for those she cared for. Emilia didn't love Lorenzo but she cared for him, she didn't wish for anything terrible to happen to him or his family but yet her mere entry to his life was already arousing his enemies to anger.

Emilia stumbled into her office, her face pale and eyes withdrawn. 'Mrs Valetti? Mrs Valetti?!' Called Melissa, her hands on Emilia's shoulders as she tried to shake her from the grip of her anxiety attack but all Emilia could hear was white noise. The inevitable hum of death got louder and fear enclosed her making her claustrophobic, lone tears fell from her face painting the distress. Yet amongst it all a deep voice called to her, from the crevices of the dark anxious cave in her mind it pulled her out, reducing her from the bleak realities of what was happening 'Gattina it is me. Breathe for me please baby. You're ok' Emilia slowly opened her eyes, setting her wobbly tear filled gaze on her husband, who had pulled her into his lap, rocking her gently as she came from her daze.

Lorenzo kept calm for her but beneath his skin utter rage tingled, clawing at him for a release. He didn't know what Lvov Ivanov had said to his wife but he knew it was something terrible to illicit such a reaction. He hadn't known his wife for long but he had never seen her this way, her usual smile a ghost like memory and her witty mouth clamped shut as she tried her best to not release any cries out loud. For every tear she cried he would unleash hell on the Russian organisation, he would make sure that family did not feel a moment of bliss until their debt was repaid. 'That's it baby, you're doing so well for me. Keep breathing slowly' he cooed, his finger wiping away the tears that stained her cheeks.

'I-I don't know how he got here Lorenzo I swear' she pleaded, her voice worried and scared. 'Sssh. Don't speak, just get your breath back hmm' he ordered her. Lorenzo had already instructed his men to look at all the cctv footage and try and trace his Russian enemies car so they could get an idea of where he was and had come from. He knew he would have to check all of the staff who worked here and even his own, he didn't understand how Lvov could easily walk through the doors. 'Don't worry gattina. We can talk about this more when you are calm'

PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT