Chapter 3

Genevieve

Everyone seems to be having fun, which is good. The whole point of such events is for them to be merry and promote a better work ethic in us the employees. But I think I've had my fair share of enjoyment and am ready to head home or just to a place where my dad isn't in the same vicinity as me. I can only handle being in the same space as him for a good amount of time. Seeing him Monday to Friday at work is torture enough for me, but including him in my weekends as well? That's just sadistic, and I'm no whore for pain.

He probably wasn't aware of Mister Harrison planning on thanking the lawyers that helped work on the merger, because I know he'd rather swallow his tongue than publicly acknowledge something or anything good I've done.

I look around, making sure that no one is paying attention to me before trying to be subtle about my intentions to leave, the last thing I need right now is someone seeing me leaving then roping me into a conversation.

"Heading out?" comes Isla's sweetly irritating voice.

"Yeah." I don't stop as I answer, hopefully she gets the message that I'm not in the mood for gossip. Isla runs the department of gossip at the office, she's said a few things about me but nothing that was accurate or serious so I've never paid her any attention. And I know that ignoring her is better than confronting her because she's attention deprived and I won't be the one to give her the attention she so badly craves.

I make my out through the back. I used being an employee of the companies being celebrated to my advantage. I came early and was allowed to park on the grounds. I knew it was gonna come in handy when I wanted to leave early. I take in the very well-kept gardens outside the venue.

The venue they picked for this party was an old library of sorts. The library was moved to a bigger hall so now they rent out this venue for such events. Both the inside and out were very beautiful with its resemblance to many old historical buildings. The inside is very decorated so the only thing that people can appreciate on the inside is the decor, but the outside is where the true beauty lies. The building is very tall and beautiful with its stone walls and high casement windows. I'm sure the inside is even more beautiful without the decor but I can't be sure of that right now.

I don't know much about old buildings but I do appreciate them. In my opinion, this venue went well with the whole law party thing.

I'm just about to turn the corner to where my car is parked when I hear footsteps, causing me to turn immediately. It's a guy. Headed in my direction. He's still a few feet away from me but the distance does nothing to suppress his attractiveness.

He finally reaches me and I try my best to keep my cool but this man is fine. Like the all-caps type of fine. He has dirty blonde messy hair that will cover his eyes if it grows any longer. Sea-blue eyes stare at me, we're both staring but I'm not complaining because I need more time to take him in. He has a very attractive facial structure, with a very chiseled jawline where a light stubble seems to be growing, and his lips are coral pink. He must be a few inches taller than six foot two because with these heels on I'm a reasonable six foot one and I have to look up at him.

With unbelievable strength, I managed to compose myself and snap out of it.

"Are you lost?" I ask him, snapping him out of whatever daydream he was having.

His blues connect with my browns before he slightly shakes his head and combs his fingers through his hair, pulling back the strands that were almost covering his eyes, giving me a proper view of his face, and wow, God took time with this one.

"No, sorry. You're just very beautiful." he states with a smile on his face.

"Oh, thank you. The event is in the hall down there." I point down at the doors leading to the venue.