Chapter 4

Genevieve

"Today's gonna be a long day." I sigh as I plop down on my chair and power up my computer.

I finally have my own office. The company needed a bigger place due to the merger. And because of that, we have relocated our offices to a new building. A much bigger building that allows me to have my own office that I can decorate to fit my taste. I'll probably only start decorating when I have time. For now, all I have is my chair, two guest chairs, and my glass desk.

Because the companies are now one, I have about this week to complete all my previous tasks before taking on new ones. Just thinking about the deadline is enough to make me break out in cold sweat.

...

My reading and research marathon is disrupted when Shantelle, our legal assistant, knocks and enters my office.

"Uhm,  Genevieve, there's someone here with a delivery for you. Should I send him in?" she skeptically asks.

"Okay? Sure I guess." I say perplexed. I don't remember ordering to this address, hell, I don't even think I know this place's address.

She leaves the door open and goes back. I chance a quick glance at my phone and see that it's already noon and I haven't had lunch yet but I've barely got anything done and if I wanna finish what I mentally planned to finish today then I'll either have to skip lunch or have Shantelle order something for me.

A man in uniform comes in with a bouquet of red roses.

"Miss Johnson?" he asks.

"Yes?" I stand.

"This is for you." he hands me that bouquet before turning and leaving my office. I stare at his retreating form and only after a minute or two of standing with flowers in pure confusion do I gather myself and notice Shantelle standing there, almost as if waiting for me to tell her who it's from.

I place the flowers on my desk before seating myself down and saying and asking, "Thank you, Shantelle. Have you had lunch yet?"

"

I was just about to head out for a bit. Do you want anything?"

"Whatever you're having should be fine. Thanks." I smile before looking at my laptop and dismissing her.

"Sure." I hear her say followed by the sound of my door closing.

When I'm sure that she walked away from the door my eyes and attention snap to the flowers. They're covered in some sort of paper. I do a mental count of the flowers and there are exactly twenty flowers. I pull one out and unwrap the paper from the rosebud and notice that it's money. The first one I pull out is a hundred-dollar bill and so is the second bill.

"Shit. Is this real?" I ask myself as I slip them out of the protective plastic that they were in and hold the bills up.

"Shit. They are. Who the hell sent me these?" I put the bills down and pick up the note.

'An expensive something
For an expensive someone'

It's not signed by anyone so I have no idea who this could be from.

I say this but at the back of my mind, I'm reminded of the guy from the party. He just seems to be the kind to do something of this sort. But how does he know my workplace? Never mind he probably knows that I work for this law firm and that's how he knew where to have these flowers delivered.