Chapter 19

Genevieve

"Look at you. You're even smiling more." Amora says with a wide smile before taking a sip of her boba lemon juice.

My face tightens up at her words.

"What are you talking about?" I take a sip of my cappuccino.

Today is one of the rare days when Amora and I have met up for lunch. She's in her usual gym wear, she's in pink today. And her little feet are covered with black trainers.

Her long hair is in a bushy ponytail, with her messy baby hair gelled down in cute edges. Amora somehow always manages to look like an adorable cartoon character, her long fluttery lashes aren't helping her matter.

We're having lunch at a café that's closer to Amora's salon. I drove here because Amora isn't a fan of driving. If it's within her control then she will not drive at all. She puts the princess in passenger princess.

Amora is having the lemon juice boba with a pizza. I'm sure everyone that passes our table and sees the food in front of Amora will be shocked. Sportswear and carbs. A gym bro would faint if he saw her right now.

I'm having a cappuccino and a beef wrap. Shocking combo, yes. It honestly isn't that bad, and besides, I need caffeine in my system. We're about halfway into the week and I'm catching up on a little more sleep every day. By the end of this week, my sleep schedule should be back to normal.

Sean and I haven't met yet since we last saw each other on Monday when he dropped me off at home after work.

"You can pretend to be; clueless, lost, unaware, the entire encyclopedic definition of what you're currently doing and it still won't deter me. He's a good look on you." she takes a bite of her second slice of extra cheesy meat pizza.

"Woah. Watch it there. I'm a good look on me. Nobody is responsible for all this," I wave my hand up and down my body. "but me."

"Bleh bleh bleh bleh bleh." Amora rolls her eyes. "How many times do you repeat to yourself before finally falling asleep at night?"

My initial reaction to her question is to frown, but I don't want any wrinkles, so I keep my face straight and look her dead in the eyes with a glare.

"Zero times. I just pass right out when my head hits the pillow."

"Hmm." she sips her boba. "Look me in the eyes and tell me that you haven't been happier than usual." she points her eyes at me.

"What are you talking about? I've been normal usual self."

"Are you making excuses?" she raises her right eyebrow in question.

"What? No. I just don't see why you're asking me to do that."

"Sounds like excuses to me." she shrugs and takes another long pull of her juice.

"Why do want me to say that?"

"Stop behaving as if I told you to pledge allegiance to some ludicrous organization and hand me over your firstborn. I just want to be proven wrong and you proven right."

"I haven't been happier than usual. I've been my normal usual self. See."

"Mmh. Could've fooled me."

My tilts to one side. "What do you mean by that?"

"Nothing. You're wrong and I'm right — oh sorry, I'm wrong and you're right." she shrugs before picking up her third slice.

I side-eye her and take a bit of my wrap.

"Just so you know, I don't appreciate your mind games." I speak up after taking my bite.