Chapter 20

Sean

"Hey." I say into the phone.

"Hi." Genevieve answers.

"Are you feeling better now? Did you take medicine? Are you taking it easy at work?" the questions all uncontrollably spill out at once.

Genevieve was acting weird this morning before I left her place. When I'd asked her what was wrong she'd first said that it was nothing and when I clearly didn't believe that because she was behaving too aloof, too different than my usual slightly mean boo bear.

After a couple of funny looks from me and more questioning, she said that her menses arrived and that it was affecting her mood. I believed that, although I'm sure that she was still hiding something.

I'd made her some tea and got her a hot water bottle. I was willing to take the day off and spend it with her doing whatever would have her feeling better but she was against it and had even mentioned that she would still be attending work either way.

So as much as it broke me to leave her alone when I knew that she wasn't well. I had to respect her wishes and do what was within my power, and that was making sure that she was at least comfortable before I left.

"I'm better now." her dull tone replies.

"That's great. Just take it slow today, okay?"

"Yeah."

"Do you have any plans this Saturday?"

"Why?" she defensively asks and I bite back a smile. Always so alert.

"I'd like to borrow you for the entire day."

"For what?" I can picture the cute little dip in her brows from the tone she uses.

"My mom has an organization, The Gold Leaf. It's a non-profit home for single mothers and orphaned kids that mom started a couple of years back. She helps out there as often as possible and so do my siblings and me." she says nothing so I continue. "Some of my brothers and I were planning to head out there and volunteer for a few hours, so I wanted to invite you." I finish off and say a silent prayer in my heart for her to accept.

"Can I just donate?" she hesitantly asks.

"You being there is just as important as a cheque. I don't want to say that either holds more importance than the other but physically being there is very life-changing to some of the people there." I intend to convince her to come.

Guilt-tripping is a method that I'll use if the situation calls for it. I want her around my family more.

"I don't know. I think a cheque would work just fine. I can even send two cheques. I'll send the monthly one I usually send to different homes and another new one just for The Gold Leaf." she offers.

"Trust me when I say that being there in person is good. It's almost like therapy. There's just something about helping out that leaves you feeling better and just pleased with yourself." I retaliate.

"Uhm . . . I don't know. I'm not the best with people . . ." I know I'm getting through to her now by the tone she uses.

"I'll be there." I reassure her.

"I don't know yet. I'll think about it." her response is good enough for me. "Listen. I've gotta go."

"No problem. I'll let you get back to work. I l—I'll talk to you later, boo bear."

She mumbles her reply before hanging up.

I sigh and set my down on the table just as my door is pushed open.