Chapter 22

G E N É V I É V E

It's still so surprising to me how I actually had fun with Sean's family on Saturday. All the children and babies and babies on the way didn't irk me as much as I thought they would. I don't know if it's something I'd ever admit out loud. But never say never.

And besides, maybe they were all so calm because it was probably way past their bedtime. Either way, I enjoyed myself. By the time we were seated around the table and having our food, I had loosened up a significant amount and was even joining in on the conversations going on around the table.

I obviously didn't overdo myself. Levi insisted on having his dinner, which was a burger that was made for all the kids while sitting on my lap. Sean was not okay with that, which is why Mirabelle, Levi's mother and Sean's brother Lucas's wife, took the seat on the other side of me.

Sean thought that Levi would eventually want his mom and that he'd go to her and leave me alone. Wrong. Levi not only finished his meal, but the little man also tried messing with my food as well. He thought the greens in the little salad I had on the side were funny.

Levi didn't succeed with getting his chubby hands on my food though because Sean took my plate away and took it upon himself to feed me.

None of his family members batted their eyes at the gesture so I didn't get self-conscious. The only time Mira was able to take Levi from me is when he fell asleep.

He looked so adorable asleep. The chubby cheeks and relaxed facial features. I could've sworn I felt my ovaries bubble over. But kids are a trap. Irrespective of the trap, I won't lie by saying that I didn't picture having my own. This is another thing that I can't believe I'm admitting.

Yesterday was yet another day of me chickening out from splitting ties with Sean. Insert tired disappointed sigh here.

To be fair though, I did plan and think about it. I kept replaying the different ways that I would do it while we baked a pistachio cake with the cake mix that he'd brought to my apartment yesterday.

Along with the cake mix, Sean had also brought champagne, a creamy prawns pasta dish that he'd made at home, an assortment of chocolate, and other little treats and snacks.

He'd said he wanted us to have an indoor picnic. That way he could have me all to himself with no other people around as distractions. His words, not mine. I wouldn't have had a problem with getting dolled up to go out. I do make for good eye candy anyways.

I don't know how to feel about the person Sean turns me into. I'm literally smiling as I recollect the events of this weekend while driving to work. I'd like to say that nothing could bring me down today after the weekend I've had but life is unpredictable and I'm not a fool.

The smile on my face can't help itself. Everything about yesterday was like something out of a movie. It's a shock that unicorns like Sean still exist. But then again, unicorns are rare so there's that.

Oh well. Too bad that despite being a unicorn, Sean is still overall a man, and that species in general cannot be trusted. And that solidifies why at the end of the day getting a man will not work.

I park my car in my designated parking spot before getting my bag from my passenger seat and hopping out.

Today's power outfit is a nude two-piece that I paired with black four-inch Valentinos on my feet. I didn't have the time to lay a wig this morning because Sean and I woke up not late, but not early either. So natural hair it is today.

I take the elevator up to my level from the parking lot and the moment the doors opened for me to step out, I could already tell that my day was about to go downhill.