-what lies ahead 2.1-

After the CDC explosion, we drove for awhile. And I mean a really fricken long time. Rick was now leading the group and making the shots, which my dad did not seem to be happy about. My dad even made me go in the car with all the Grimes and what was left of Sophia's family. I had to sit awkwardly in the backseat, smushed against the car door. Luckily nobody questioned me on why I wasn't riding with my dad. That was a question I didn't have an answer for.

Somehow the conversation switched into the Grand Canyon. Instead of joining into their conversation like any normal kid my age, I stayed quiet and watched as we drove past a couple walkers on the highway.

I think Rick knew I didn't want to be talked to, because whenever I would normally see him at the station he would practically quiz me on my whole life. Back then I didn't mind much. But now, now I just wanted to know why my dad couldn't even have me in the same car as him.

__

I must've fallen asleep because next thing i know I'm waking up to small hands shaking me awake.

"Something happened." Carl told me when I looked at him with tiredness and confusion. I nodded wearily before opening the car door and stumbling out. All the adults were circled around the front of the camper, smoke coming out from the hood that was still shut.

My dad looked especially pissed, like it just threw off everything. As if we had a place to go to and had to be there at a specific time.

Both Carl and Sophia ran up to their parents. If I were to run up to my dad I wouldn't be guaranteed anything good. So instead I stayed back, peeking into the widow of a rusted down car next to where we were parked.

I could hear the others talking about searching cars before I decided to rejoin them, just kind of sticking off to the side of my father.

"There's a whole bunch of stuff we can find in one of 'em cars." Daryl said, already taking stuff out of a trunk.

"We could siphon gas from some of these." T-dog suggested. All adults seemed to have some kind of idea of what we could get if we searched the cars. All except Lori.

"This is a graveyard." Lori spoke up, one arm around Carl.

All adults, and kids, turned their attention to her. She wasn't wrong. If it wasn't a graveyard for us then it was for someone. But if the people around here are already dead, they won't know the difference.

"I don't know how I feel about this." Lori almost mumbled. I think she was more worried about it being our grave instead of somebody else's, but I believe everything happens for a reason. If someone dies here than that was just how the world aligned.

T-dog was the first to move, and speak. "Alright, alright, here we go." He said as he walked away.

Next to me my dad spoke, "come on y'all, let's just look around."

Everyone dispersed. I was going to go checkout the car I saw earlier when I felt my arm get pulled.

I turned around and was met with Lori, who was holding Carl's hand with her other.

"We're gonna go wait in the camper, it's not safe for little boys to be running around out here." She said, loosening her grip on my wrist.

"That's such shit." I whined immediately, forgetting all my manners apparently.

She dropped my wrist, stern expression on her face. "Excuse me?" She looked puzzled at the words as if she hadn't heard them ever in her life.

I was about to make a sassy remark when my dad spoke up. "Do whatever you want kid. She ain't your mama."