-the king, the widow, and rick 8.06-

"I'm like," I ducked under a tree branch I almost walked right into, "all for you being the hero or whatever, but are you sure it's a good idea to be out here with everything that's going on?" I asked Carl who found this whole walk a lot easier.

"I just wanna see if he's there, if not we'll go back." He told me, holding up a bigger branch for me like a gentleman, "I'll keep you safe." He teased as I crawled under.

You could hear bugs making their weird noises all around us, the sun being blocked from hitting the ground in some spots.

"Why didn't we just drive?" I complained.

"You didn't have to come with me, it's a little obsessive." He had been saying that all day, I refused to admit to being obsessed with him, I wasn't.

"Don't flatter yourself, Rick is paying me to hang out with you. Says you have social issues." I countered.

"Right, I'm the one with social issues." I heard him laugh quietly.

"Shut up." I said grinning, he couldn't see it, but he knew. "We aren't lost... right?"

"Settle down back there. I know where I'm going." He sounded like a parent, that thought just became weirder the more I thought about it.

"You should be nicer to me." I said watching where I was walking after almost tripping on a large, misplaced rock.

"Why's that?" He asked.

"You wouldn't have that hat on top of your head if it wasn't for me." I reminded him, I was not letting that go, he would've left it if it wasn't for me.

"I'm shocked you actually gave it back."

"It's full of sweat and other things, no thank you." I shook my head in disagreement. It was his thing, his hat. I'm not that rude.

Distantly a walker's growls could be heard, both of us shut up, taking out our weapon of choice.

Slowly going through the trees and watching our steps, we saw it. It was only one and going after something I couldn't see.

We watched for a moment before the guy from the gas station killed it.

Carl stepped out farther, so he was visible, "hey!" He yelled, getting the guy's attention.

I went out after him, not walking out with my arms up in surrender like he was, just following him with my knife still out and by my side.

"It was my dad." Carl said, referencing the gunshots that had been fired at him previously.

I didn't say anything, not knowing what I would say anyway. This was Carl's mission, not mine.

"They were warning shots. He wasn't shooting at you." Carl explained further, the man eyed the zip-lock bag in Carl's hand.

We walked slowly towards the guy, trying to feel him out and not scare him, I put my pocket-knife away.

"I'm Carl." He continued talking to the guy, we were withing ten feet by now.

The guy still had his knife out in defense, but he didn't look like he was going to use it. He looked around seeing if it was really just us or not. If this was somehow a savior, he was definitely an actor before, a damn good one.

"Siddiq." He said with a voice crack, making it go silence for a split second.

Siddiq looked at me, waiting for my name. I almost gave him a fake one; almost. "Liam."

Carl held up the bag, "food and water." Siddiq didn't look impressed.

"Why?" He asked like it was poisoned.