31: That's What She Said

Simon's POV:

We're about to pull up into Penny's driveway, and I'll admit, I feel much better after our argument. Finally, after so many years, Adele got to hear my side of the heartbreak. At least now, I sort of know why she divorced me. I guess she wasn't in the right state of mind back then.

I was so stupid; I should've fought for us. I should've held onto our relationship, but no. I just gave up. I guess the divorce was also my fault. But it doesn't help that I'm mentally beating myself up about it now.

I slowly pull the car into the driveway, and I can tell Lia is so nervous. I get out of the car and open her door. She climbs out and gives me a hug, burying her face into my chest.

"I promise you, everyone is gonna love you. And if they don't, they have to deal with me, okay?" I reassure her.

"What will you do if they don't like me?" She asks with a smirk on her face. I simply take my fist and punch it against my hand. She bursts out into laughter and hugs me again.

"I'll always protect you, Lia. Always," I say while hugging her. I look down slightly to see a huge smile on her face. It's the most amazing feeling having her in my arms, and knowing that she feels safe in them makes my heart burst with happiness.

We release from the hug, and Adele has already started taking all Lia's stuff to the front door. We get all her stuff out of the trunk and put it down at the front door. I let out a long sigh and look down at Lia, and she looks up at me.

"Ready?" I ask her gently.

"Ready," she says with a smile.

Adele knocks on the door, and we can hear Laura screaming while running down the stairs. Adele just laughs and waits for her to open the door.

"I'm coming!" We hear Laura shout.

"That's what she said," Lia says in an inaudible whisper with a cheeky smile on her face.

Adele playfully slaps her shoulder with a look of shock on her face and looks directly at me.

"Oi, don't look at me, she got that dirty mind from you," I say.

"Okay, true," Adele says, accepting the fact that I was right, for once.

"Definitely my child," Adele says, putting her arm around Lia's neck, pulling Lia closer to her. Lia looks up at Adele while sheepishly smiling.

The door finally opens, and Laura looks like she just got her most wanted present on Christmas Day.

"Lia! It's so nice to finally meet you," Laura says while squeezing the life out of Lia.

"Hey, that's my child, be gentle," Adele says.

"I'm fine, I'm really feeling the love," Lia says with a deep voice on the word love.

"Oh, and she has a good sense of humor too," Laura says excitedly.

"Don't forget dirty," Adele adds.

"Yay!" Laura screams while clapping her hands. "I think we're gonna get along just fine," Laura says, putting her arm around Lia's neck, leading her into the house. Lia has the biggest smile on her face while enjoying Laura's company.

Adele and I carry Lia's luggage into the house and put it down in the living room.

"So where is everyone?" I ask.

"They quickly just went to the shops, but I'm sure they'll be here any minute now," Laura says.

"Um, listen, I can already tell we're gonna be like besties, but what is your name?" Lia asks with a giggle.

"Oh sh*t, I forgot to tell you that little piece of info, sorry. My name is Laura. I'm your mum's bestie, and your Godparent, but I won't mind if you steal me from your mum. She's had me for too long anyway."

"Hey!" Adele says shocked.

"Oh, you'll get over it, Del. Anyways, let me show you your room; you're probably exhausted from everything that's happened these last 3 days," Laura says while leading Lia to her room.

"Yeah, I guess," Lia says with a shy smile.

Adele's POV:

"Goodness, Laura's gonna tire Lia out before everyone else even arrives. Angelo is probably gonna ask so many questions too," I say to Simon.

"Yeah, but I think she'll be fine. She seems happy," Simon replies.

"I really hope so," I say. There is a short moment of silence. "Listen... everything that we said in the car-"

"Don't worry about it. I understand you, Adele; you don't need to explain yourself to me," Simon says. "At least now I know why you wanted the divorce, kind of."

"How do you even know the reason if I'm not even certain what it is??" I ask confused.

"Just like I said before, Adele. I know you; I know how your mind works," he says, stepping closer to me, almost hovering over me.

"Well, I guess you're gonna have to give me a few lessons because I don't even know how my own mind works," I say, looking up at him with a smirk and my arms crossed.

"Well, sure I will, but I charge per hour, and not so generously," he says with a smirk.

I just roll my eyes and slap his chest playfully. I start walking towards the kitchen, leaving him chuckling on his own.