55: Heartfelt

Adele's POV:

Mum and Laura took Angelo back home because I didn't want him to be exposed to all of this. I emailed all of his teachers and told them that he won't be going to school this week, but I still sent him home so that he could get a good night's rest, including Mum and Laura.

Lia's lying down on the couch with a blanket covering her body, her head resting on my lap. I've been combing my fingers through her hair for hours, just admiring how lucky I got to have this beautiful human being as my child.

It's 4:00 am, and I haven't slept at all. I've been thinking about everything that's happened, and the further I fall into my thoughts, the more guilty I feel.

I've thought back to the day that we saw Lia for the first time again. When I welcomed her on stage and was completely oblivious that the most stunning girl I've ever seen was my baby girl.

I thought back to the moment when we told her that we were her parents and I remember the exact heart-shattering feeling that I felt when she told us that she didn't believe us. She was still in the mourning phase of her past 'mother,' and I can't believe how quickly she's worked past it.

Then I thought back to the day when I walked into the bathroom and everything was covered in blood, including my baby. I was so foolish to have believed that she had done that to herself. If only I had pressured her to tell me the truth, then none of this would've gone as far as it did.

My Lia wouldn't have gone through so much pain.

I look down at her, a tear sliding down my cheek. I quietly whisper to her, "I'm so sorry." I stayed quiet for another moment before continuing. "For not being there for you, for being a terrible mother, and for not protecting you like I should've. From now on, nothing, and I mean nothing, will harm you again. If anyone dares to hurt you again, I will end them, because I love you with all my whole heart, my Li. I love you so damn much, and I will do anything for you. I will kill for you, I will die for you, and I will do anything to make you happy again." I said almost breathless after my heartfelt speech.

Suddenly, I feel something grip my legs. I look down, only to see Lia's eyes wide open, staring at me with tears in her eyes.

"Bubs-"

"I love you, Mum," she said, sitting up and throwing her arms around my neck. I hold her as close as possible, no space between us. I brush my fingers through her silky brunette hair.

I break from the hug and say, "You weren't really supposed to hear that," I said with a breathy laugh while wiping my tears. She grasps onto my hands and looks me in the eyes.

"I'm so glad I did." I just smile back.

"But you were also wrong about something," she said confidently. I was about to say something in return, but she quickly cut me off.

"You're not a terrible mother, and you never were," she said. "I know you haven't physically been my mother for a long time, but ever since I lost Alison, you've filled her shoes more than anyone else could've. I've always been close with Alison, and I always thought that she was my mother because that's all I've ever known, but I never had the connection with her that I have with you, Mum. You've made it easy for me to work past Alison's death because you make me feel so loved. Obviously, I'm still phased by her death, but you've made my dark journey a little bit lighter. Even when I was younger and I didn't know you yet, I still felt a connection with you, which is so weird. Watching your interviews, the way you communicated with people, the way you laughed, loved, and lived. The way you used your talent to tell people your story. You were such a role model to me. And now knowing that you are my mother makes that even more special for me. You were there for me even when you didn't know. All that I really want to say is... thank you for being an incredible mother and don't ever doubt that for a second, because you've always been there for me, maybe not the way that we both wish you were, but trust me when I say that you were there for me."

I was left in tears by her beautiful words. I have been longing to hear those words for 16 years. Knowing that she wholeheartedly accepts me as her mother makes me the happiest person alive. Nothing in this world can bring me more joy than that.

"Lia... I don't know what to say; you've left me speechless. I don't think I'll ever be able to express my love to you through words, but to sum it up for you. I love you with all my heart, Lia Blue Adkins." I said, pecking her lips and bringing her in for a bone-crushing hug.

"I love you too, Adele Laurie Blue Adkins." She responds with a giggle, which causes me to giggle. "You're definitely my child," I said with a smile.

"And I'm so happy that I am."

My heart has officially melted into a puddle.

After our heartfelt conversation, Lia fell back asleep in the same position as she was before, and I slowly drifted off into a peaceful sleep, finally.

It was about 6:00 am when I felt someone tapping their hand on my shoulder. My eyes shot open, confused by what was happening.

"Miss Adkins?" It was the doctor.

"Yes, is everything alright?" I asked quietly, trying not to wake Lia up.

"I'm afraid I have some bad news..." The doctor said with a heavy heart, while I felt mine drop.

I felt Lia's body becoming restless on the couch. "What's going on?" I heard Lia ask. She slowly sits up next to me.

"I'm afraid Mr. Konecki has lost a lot of blood. We don't know if he's going to make it another day..."

I've felt a lot of pain in these last few months, but this one stung pretty bad.