44: Nightmare

Adele's POV:

"Help!" I heard someone shout in the house. "Help me, please!"

It almost sounds like...

"Stop hurting me!"

Lia!

I ran as fast as I could upstairs, searching through every room.

"Help me!" I heard her shout continuously.

"I'm coming, baby! Hold on!" I shouted as I sprinted through the entire house.

My 10-bedroom house quickly became a 100-bedroom house. All the doors were locked, the hallway an impossible length.

I tried to turn every door handle, but each one was locked. I could feel my heart beating out of my chest, my hands becoming sweaty, my breath becoming short.

"Hurry, Mum!" I heard her shout from the door right in front of me, giving me enough encouragement to break down the entire door.

As I came crashing through the door, I saw a man hovering over my baby. Her body almost looked lifeless. The light shone only upon her body, while the man's eyes were the only things lit up.

"You were too late," the man said in an oddly familiar voice.

"No!"

I shouted, sitting right up in my bed. I felt sweat beads on my forehead, and every breath I took was short and quick.

"Babe, what's wrong?" I felt a pair of hands on my shoulders and slowly turned to see that it was Rich.

"Um, nothing... I think I just had a nightmare," I said, shaking off the odd feeling and softly smiling at him.

"Well, okay, babe," he said, pecking my lips and turning around to continue sleeping. But I couldn't sleep.

Why would I randomly have a dream like that? That was a horrible dream to have. It must mean something. Maybe this proves my point about Lia's bruises. Maybe someone else gave them to her. But who?

I looked at the clock on my bedside table, and it read 02:37 am. I decided to get out of bed to get a glass of water.

While I was walking through the living room, on my way to the kitchen, I saw something out of the corner of my eye. When I turned my attention towards it, I saw Lia sleeping on the couch with a book in her hand.

I smiled at the sight of her. Knowing that she was safe filled my heart with joy.

I quickly went to the closet and reached for a blanket. I walked towards the couch, and as gently as I could, I threw the blanket over her.

Her eyes gently fluttered, and she started to make groaning noises. I immediately tried to calm her down. "Shh, baby, it's just me," I whispered while smoothing down her hair.

A gentle smile appeared on her face, and she turned around and fell back asleep.

Just as I was about to go to the kitchen, I heard her ask me, "Mum." I turned around and hummed, "Mm?"

"Can you... sleep here with me tonight?" she asked shyly. I don't think she realises how much joy she has just caused me. "Of course, baby."

I walked towards the couch and gently scooched in next to her. I enveloped her cold body into mine, took a deep breath, and slowly let it out. She cuddled closer to me, and it made my heart melt into a puddle.

"I love you, Mum," she said softly.

"I love you too, Bubs," I said, kissing her forehead.

"I will always protect you," I whispered.