38: I love you

Adele's POV:

I could tell Lia was very quiet for the rest of the dinner; in fact, she didn't say one word. She just played with her food, listening to our conversation, hardly looking up from her plate. I was very worried because I don't want my baby to feel uncomfortable around us, even though it's inevitable with Rich around. I really want them to get along, but if only one of them is putting in the effort, then that's never going to happen.

After dinner, we decided to make some coffee and have a chat on the couch, but Lia excused herself to go to the bathroom again. I immediately noticed that when she turned around to go upstairs, she wiped a tear. "Excuse me, guys, I'm just going to the bathroom too," I said, putting my coffee on the table and walking upstairs.

I knocked softly on the bathroom door, "Lia?" I said with a gentle voice. I heard no response, only quiet sobs. I slowly opened the door and found my little girl sitting on the floor crying. "Baby, what's wrong?" I asked concerned, sitting next to her on the floor and pulling her into my embrace.

"So much is wrong," she said, sobbing into my chest.

"Shh... baby, it's okay, I've got you," I said, combing my fingers through her hair. I've seen her this upset before, but this is different. She seems powerless; she seems weak. I don't want her to feel like that. "Bubs, you need to tell me what's wrong," I said, taking her chin and making eye contact with her red and puffy eyes.

"I-, um, I'm on my period, I think that's why I'm so emotional," she said hesitantly. I didn't fully believe her, even though I've never seen how her emotions are when she's on her period.

"Are you sure? You know you can tell me anything," I said, trying to make her feel comfortable.

"Yes, I'm sure."

We just sat in the bathroom, holding onto each other. There was a comfortable silence that filled the bathroom, but I continued to rub my hand up and down her back, trying to comfort her as much as possible. Suddenly, she broke the silence.

"You know I'll do anything to protect you and our family, right?" She said, looking up at me. I was a little taken aback by her randomness.

"Baby, you don't need to protect our me and family, that's your father and I's job," I said, smoothing down her hair. "Why would you say that though?" I asked with a confused expression on my face.

"Because I love you so damn much, Mum."

At that very moment, when those words escaped her mouth, everything in the world was okay. I've longed for those words for 16 years, and finally, my ears and my heart have been blessed with them. I was so surprised in this moment; I wondered if I heard her correctly. "What did you just say?" I asked in an audible whisper.

"I love you, Mum," she said with tears cascading down her cheeks. I quickly wiped them away with my thumbs and squeezed her closer into my embrace. "You have no idea how much I love you," I said, kissing her head. This moment was too perfect to let go of. We sat there for another 5 minutes in each other's warm embrace. The time has come where we can officially say we have a mother-daughter bond, and I am over the moon about it.

"Okay, honey, I think we need to go downstairs again," I said, releasing her from my embrace and slowly getting up. She immediately pulled me back down, while shaking her head. She buried her face into my chest. "No, please," she said in almost a fearful tone. I was so confused, what is she afraid of?

"Bubs? Are you okay?" I asked concerned. "What are you afraid of?" I said, taking her chin and meeting her glossy eyes.

There's a moment of silence before she answers. I could hear her take a huge gulp. "I'm not afraid of anything; I just have bad period cramps," she said, trying to sound confident, but even though I've only known her for a month, I could immediately tell she was lying. I didn't want to force her to tell me because I didn't want her to feel uncomfortable, so I just left it, but soon, I will find out what's bothering her. "Okay, baby, but let's rather go to your room; it's quite uncomfortable on the floor," I said slowly getting up, holding my hand out for her.

She grasped it and asked me, "Can you please sleep with me tonight, Mum?" My heart exploded with happiness when she called me Mum again; I could definitely get used to it. If I get the privilege to be called 'Mum' by this gorgeous human being, how on earth could I say no to her? "Of course, baby," I said pulling her up and hugging her tightly.

We opened the bathroom door, and she started walking towards her bedroom while I started walking downstairs. "Mum?" She called out. "Mmm?" I hummed, turning around, indicating she has my attention. "Where are you going?" She asked in a worried tone.

"I'm just telling your father that you're sleeping over here tonight and I'm telling Rich I'm going to be sleeping with you tonight," I explained.

"Okay, don't take too long though," she said walking towards her room.

"I won't, baby," I said walking towards the living room with a huge smile on my face.

In that very moment, it felt like everything was going to be okay...