1 - figurative werwolves.

—

"BELLA is doing a lot better, really." Charlie informs from the drivers seat of his old cruiser. His hands rest on the steering wheel and his tired eyes peer at the slick road.

I watch him closely, waiting for the moment he dozes off and we swerve into the other lane—okay, that may be a bit dark, but still! The man looks exhausted.

"And what about you?" I ask, shifting my body slightly, still keeping my eyes on his face.

He deeply sighs and shakes his head. "I, well—everything going on with your sister and work at the station has been..." he trails off gruffly.

"Exhausting? Draining?" He nods leisurely at my examples. "Dad, you work too hard." I rebuke. "Which is why I will take care of Bells, and you can take more naps."

Caring for my younger sister wasn't something I initially planned on doing, but that was before I realized how bad it really is.

"You don't have to do tha—"

I interrupt him, "Ah Ah! I am volunteering."

He sighs deeply. "I really appreciate it, Els."

"Its the least I can do." As the words fall from my lips, the car drives past the 'WELCOME TO FORKS' sign, and I feel nostalgia bubble up inside of my stomach. The last time I was in Forks was three years ago, I was eighteen and ready to leave the small town behind for something grander, which is why I moved to Seattle with my best friend right out of high school.

I'll be returning to the waterlogged city in two weeks, after spring break has ended--for now, though, I will help pull my little sister out of whatever funk she has stumbled into.

We pass through the shops and restaurants, hardly anybody walks the soaked sidewalks, but if there are any, they stare at the car with gaped mouths and curious eyes.

"This place hasn't changed a bit, has it?" I mutter with my eyes stuck on the window of the cruiser.

"Well, it certainly got more exciting after you left." Charlie states, turning down the road my old house resides on.

I give him a quizzical glance. "What does that mean?"

"Just..." Charlie puts the car in park and glares up at the second-story window. "You'll see."

He climbs out of the car into the damp and rainy outside, I scramble to follow behind him. I pull my bags out of the backseat, ignoring his protests. "Dad, I'm a grown woman now, I can get it."