5 - the clearwaters.

—

"A note. A note! All you left was a note!" Dad exclaims, pointing his finger at Bella.

I watch him scold her with my lips pressed together tightly. He's really letting it rip—but, to be fair, he really couldn't yell at us once we got home, we were too exhausted.

So, once we were all awake and eating breakfast, he let it all out. Its all been mostly directed at Bella, though a few jabs have been tossed my way.

Bella sits quietly, listening to our dad without a sound. I do the same. It wouldn't be wise to interrupt him right now, his face is red as a tomato.

He takes a deep breath, and I think he may be done, but nope.

His rant continues for five more minutes, until he dismisses us to our rooms. I want to say 'dad, I'm 21, you can banish me to my room' but instead, I comply and slip quietly into my room.

Inside my room, on my bed, sits my phone and the piece of paper given to me by Demetri. I'd been contemplating shooting him a text this morning when I rolled out of bed, but I got distracted, so now its back to the contemplating.

His number has already been entered into my phone, I just need to send a message, and I don't even know what to say.

My thumb lingers over the little keyboard, I run over different greetings in my mind; hey, it's ellie, i got your note. — demetri? it's ellie! — hi demetri, its ellie. They're all relatively similar, but, in my head, they're completely different.

I let out a huff of air and roll over to my back, I hold my phone up and begin to slowly type.

hi dementia—

I laugh to myself. Dementia? Pfft.

My phone suddenly slips just as I go to fix the autocorrect error, it lands directly on my nose. I gasp in pain. "Motherfucking ow!"

I groan and rub my nose with one hand, and search for my fallen phone with the other. My fingers hit the screen, and as I fully grasp it, I hear the phwuup sound, indicating that a text has been sent from me.

"No!" I exclaim and grab my phone, I hold it near my face and feel the horror and dread set in.

I sent Demetri a message, saying nothing but 'hi dementia'. Dementia.

My stomach drops as the little text bubble appears on the screen. I throw my phone towards the end of my bed and stare at it with my heart pounding.