7, riley.

—

"HE wants to talk on the phone, like, right now." I pace Bella's room. "What do I do?"

"Uh, talk to him?" She answers matter of factly while scribbling something down on a creased and stained piece of paper.

"But what if it's awkward? And what if I make a fool of myself!" I exhale sharply. "You talk for me, pretend you're me."

Demetri had suggested we speak over the phone after I got home from the fire last night, I agreed, because I'd like to speak to the man outside of texts, but now I'm shitting bricks.

Bella scoffs. "That'd be a disaster. Just be yourself. Your overly talkative, inappropriate joking self."

"Okay, okay." I inhale and exhale. "I'm calling him." I open his contact and hover my shaky thumb over the call button. "Oh lordy, my heart is in my ass."

"Oh, just hit the button already. You're stressing me out and I'm not even apart if this." Bella reprimands me with a slight attitude hinted in her voice.

"Woah!" I hold my hands up in mock surrender. "Whats with the sudden 'tude?"

Bella sighs and droops her head down. "Sorry—it's just this thing with Jake." She eyes the crumpled and worn note that she was previously scribbling in.

"You could go see him, you know? You don't have to keep passing notes back and forth. Talk to him." I advise.

Bella shrugs. "He doesn't want to talk to me. Edward coming back really messed things up between us and I..." she sighs gruffly. "I miss him, he's like my best friend."

"Go see him tonight, then. Who's gonna stop you?" I ask.

"Edward." Bella responds quietly.

I shake my head. "Edward shouldn't dictate who you're friends with. He left you and—"

"Ellie, please, it's complicated." Bella interjects. "More complicated than you know."

I scoff—like I don't understand complicated with my vampire soulmate dude. I open my mouth to argue, but decide its best to just let it go. "Whatever you say, Bells." I turn around and exit her room, not wanting to argue her point and risk letting anything slip up—like me knowing about vampires.

I enter my room and sit at my desk, I place my phone down and just stare at the screen. To call or not to call. To get to know my soulmate or not.