18, longing.

——

——

AT 10:15 the next morning, Ellie sits at the kitchen table, slowly eating a bowl of cereal while reading the newspaper. Which was a mistake.

Annies face is plastered right there, shes with the rest of the victims. Ellie shoves the paper away, sending it across the table. She stares down at her cereal, stirring it with her spoon.

Bella soon stumbles down the stairs, she sees the newspaper, and then she sees Ellies dipped down head and her somberly sagged shoulders.

She tosses the paper away and then prepares herself her own bowl of cereal. She silently sits across from Ellie and begins to eat.

Surprisingly, Ellie is the one to break the silence. "Bells, I have a question. About vampires."

Bella looks up, a bit surprised. "Whats up?"

"Yesterday, Emmett said Edward could read minds." She was too distracted by the fact that Bella was getting married yesterday to react to what else Emmett had said until she was recently rethinking the conversation. "Can he read yours? Or mine?"

Really, Ellie is quite interested in vampires after speaking to Carlisle about it. She still gets a chill when she pictures their cold skin and red eyes, but a hint of fascination lingers within it now.

"He can't read mine. But he can sometimes read yours." Bella answers and then takes a bite of her cereal.

"Sometimes?" Ellie raises an eyebrow. "Why only sometimes?"

Bella shrugs. "They aren't sure how it works. They suspect maybe yours will just develop even more in time. And maybe mine started early for some reason."

Ellie slowly nods. "Right. So, Edward has heard some of my thoughts, though?"

"Yes." Bella confirms.

Ellie isn't sure if she should feel violated or amused — violated because her thoughts should be hers and hers only, though amused because shes thought up some pretty good insults at Edward while he wasn't looking, and she hopes hes heard some of them.

"Does anybody else read minds?" Ellie asks. She hopes not, though, because she can only think of so many insults.

"Some do. But not in their family. Remember when we went to Italy?" Bella asks, because now is the time shes decided to inform Ellie about the Volturi. She didn't have the chance to at the Cullens yesterday, because they began wedding planning out of nowhere.