chapter 39

While Will cooked we went over the plan one last time. We talked about the clothes. The escape routes. The meeting places. Then we talked about the back up plan just in case. While the boys talked more and more I went over to Will.

"Shouldn't you be listening?" Said Will

I rolled my eyes. "I've gone over that plan a thousand times. I could do it in my sleep. You nervous at all?" I asked.

He nodded. "I'm always nervous. Makes me more alert. And you? Are you nervous?"

Am I? Yes. "Yeah I am. I'm scared that my injuries might slow us down." I admitted. Don't get me wrong I feel a lot better, but I'm not my best. And that terrifies me. If I slow down too much, or loose focus, I could get them killed.

"If so, we will work around it." He said confidently.

I immediately shook my head. I looked back to make sure no one was listening in. And I whispered to Will. "If the time comes where I'm holding up the mission or you need to leave me, then do it." I said.

He paused. And looked at me with angry eyes. "I would never-"

I cut him off. "Would you rather risking all of us dying? Robin won't agree and I don't trust Guy. So if it comes down to it, if you need to leave me, do it. I promise I will make my way out some way but our priority is getting her out. Okay?"

He seemed at a loss for words. "It won't come down to that." He said ignoring me.

"It might." I said.

"It won't. No go back to the table. The foods almost done." He said.

I knew talking to him anymore wouldn't go anywhere so I did what I was told and listened in to the boys.

I know Will is mad but he is the practical one. I hadn't thought about my injuries slowing us down until that very moment, and of that did happen. I could loose so much. I could loose one or all of them.

That thought terrifies me, so if leaving me can keep them alive, then so be it. Always get rid of the weakest link. And right now that's me.

"Foods ready." Will said with a cold voice. He began to bring bowls over. It was leftover porridge from this morning, but he added chicken and veggies in it.

As we ate we talked about the plan. And for the rest of the night Will stayed quiet.

Once dinner was done and we finished reviewing the plan for the hundredth time, the boys began to make there way to bed. I hugged them all goodnight, well all except Guy of course.

When I hugged Will he whispered, "Find comfort in the fact that I will do anything to complete this mission tomorrow. But nothing will happen to you." Then he pulled away and laid his forehead on mine and went toward his room.

I smiled to myself. He may seem a little cold and harsh, but Will is probably the biggest softie here.

I poked around the room and noticed it was just me and Robin. I glanced over to him while he began to wipe down the table.

"Give me an hour or so. I want to get everything set up first and then I'll come back and get you, deal?" He said after cleaning.

I looked at him suspiciously, but nodded anyway. Set up? What exactly was he planning?

I went to my room and changed into something a little more comfortable and went back downstairs to the kitchen and decided to pack some snacks for the trip. I wasn't sure how one we were going to be there so I wanted to be prepared.

I won't lie I was nervous. I wasn't sure what I should do or what he had plan. Then suddenly the words May said earlier replayed in my head. She said if she had one last moment with the man she loved she would just lay in his arms. Memorize him.

And I wanted to do the same. I wanted to memorize his lips, his touch, his everything. But I already knew how felt about me. Maybe I could just lay in his arms? Just ask him to hold me all night, even though I wanted more. He'd say yes. And I would be content with that.

"You ready?" He said from behind me, making me jump. He began to chuckle.

"Sorry I didn't mean to scare. What you making?" He asked. He was standing there with his hands in his pockets.

I gave him a smile as I finished packing up the snacks. "Just a little something if we get peckish later. I wasn't sure how long we were gonna be so I wanted to bring something." I said turning to him.

He gave me a smile and reached out and the food from me and laid it on the counter behind me. He took one of my hands in his and began to pull me out of the house. "You won't need it, now let's go, little one."

We began to make our way to the opening, and the whole time he refused to let go of my hand. He had offered to carry me but I told him no. I needed to stretch my legs anyway.

"You know I wanted to tell you that I am proud of you." He said out of nowhere.

I looked at him in shock. That was random.

"I know I was against you fighting in the beginning. But I am beyond happy that you disobeyed me. You were snake to take down those men without dying. You held your own. And I'm sorry for underestimating you. I want to make it clear that I don't think your weak, I know you can hold your own. But you've just been through so much that I just wanted to spare from so hardships. And I know with the life you lived and the one your currently living, that me trying to shelter you will be a fruitless effort, but I can't help it. I can't help but want to keep you safe. It's instinct for me." He began to go on and on about how her was sorry for the last few days and that he hated the fact that we wasted the time fighting.

His words made my heart soar and I just watched him as he spoke. Soaking up every word he spoke. I hadn't realized how much I really wanted to hear these words until right now. My heart was a little lighter, and also a little heavier. Why did he have to say this now? Why not earlier?

"We're here." He said.

I tore my eyes away from him and began to look in front of me. My hands immediately went to my face as I covered my mouth in surprise.

"Oh. It's beautiful, Robin." I said. A candle lit picnic.