26

8 years ago

I pretend to listen whatever Jonathan is talking about, but in reality I'm wondering why is it so quiet.

"And then-" I cut him off.

"Where's your sister?"

He looks sad or whatever that I interrupted him, but I don't care. I haven't seen her all day, I need to know she's okay.

"She's probably at someone's house. Maybe Chloe's." I doubt that.

She would rather do math homework than go over to that witch's house.

I look around not interested in anything and just wanting to go see her. Where is she?

"Hey, you want anything to eat or drink? You know yesterday I made muffins with mom. Would you like to try it?" He asks hopefully.

"No." His smile drops.

I look next to the front door and see her shoes there. So she is here. If I could just get away from her brother I could find her.

I pretend to look at the time on my watch and speak. "Got to go." The watch that doesn't even work.

"Oh, are you sure you can't stay for a few minutes? I'm sure you're parents wouldn't mind. And if the problem is the dark, dad and I could always give you a ride home."

Yeah my parents wouldn't mind since I don't have those.

I shake my head and put on my worn out shoes. That's exactly when their mother walks in the living room. "Oh, going already?"

I nod not looking at her. I despite her and the things she says, does to Soph.

I tilt my head at her and walk out. I round the house and climb up to her window. I knock and get no respond.

I knock again, but nothing. I decide to open her window, even if it's disrespectful. I put my feet on her bedroom floor and close the window.

"Soph" I whisper and nothing.

"Soph!" I say it a little bit louder. I stay silent, hoping I'll hear something.

And when I do I wish I didn't.

Quite sobs are coming from her bathroom. I walk over to the door and knock. "Angel?"

Her painful cries are muffled now, like she's holding her hand in front of her mouth. "It's me Ryder. Can I come in?"

Nothing

I open the door slowly and when I step fully inside my heart breaks into a thousand pieces.

In the middle of the bathroom stands Sophie only with a sport bra on. Her belly is red and covered in cellulose tape. Her face tear strained.

When I get somewhat out of the shock I approach her with shaky hands. "What happened?"

She doesn't try to hold in her sobs anymore and I fling my arms around her. "I'm here. I'm here. Shh." I hold her tighter.