14. A Hitman Gang

RUBY'S POV

We were back at the mansion in the twins' bedroom. We were telling Alina the eventful day that we had in school. At the end of the story, the girl's mouth was agape.

"Sophie did what?!" Alina exclaimed, fury blazing in her eyes.

"She was blackmailing Dylan. Specifically targeting his mother." Sheila elaborated.

"How dare she... Once I get my hands on her at school, I swear I'll..."

Alina looked down, her fists shaking. I knew that type of anger. It's the one where you're ready to bring hell to that person who hurt someone you cared about. I have a feeling it's not only Sheila's dark side that would be revealed to us.

"Don't bother, Alina." The older sister placed a hand on Alina's shoulder. "I promise you I took care of that brat. I think what you should be doing is talking to Dylan."

Alina looked uncomfortable, fiddling with her fingers. "Does... Does he still like me even when I ran away from him that day?"

"He still does, I promise." Sheila assured her twin over and over again until Alina eventually believed her.

"Okay then, I... I think I'm ready to listen to him. But how will we know if Sophie really did stop following Mrs. Miller? I don't know if I trust her to suddenly stop pursuing after Dylan."

"Don't worry about that, We took care of it already."

"What do you mean?"

"I had a member ensure Mrs. Miller's safety. If anything were to happen to her, we'd know."

"Really? Thank you!" Alina jumped from the bed and gave me a big hug. I laughed and returned the gesture.

"What about me?" Sheila pouted in jealousy. "I'm the one who got Sophie to do that, you know."

Alina simply giggled at her sister's cuteness before hugging her too.

In the corner of my eye, I could see Diamond smiling slightly, although it was more of a sad smile instead of a happy one. My eyebrows furrowed, seeing Diamond make that face. I wonder what she's thinking right now...

My attention snapped to Emerald whose phone rang. "Hello?"

"Oh, hey, Zack! What's up?"

Diamond and I mouthed for her to switch to speaker phone so we could all hear him.

"Yeah... Yeah, wait let me put you on speaker."

When she did, we heard a familiar voice. "Hi, guys!"

"Zack!"

"What prompts this call from you?" Diamond questioned.

"You know that gang beatings you asked the researchers to gather information on? Well, it turns out to be-"

Emerald snatched the phone and turned the speaker off, her eyes flitted to the twins who seemed confused.

"Why did you turn it off? Let us hear it too!"

"Maybe another time. It's almost 7 o'clock. Why don't you girls head down and eat dinner?"

"But... But... We wanna know what they found out..."

"We'll tell you. Though let us see if it's safe for teenagers, ok? I don't want you guys getting nightmares from what you might hear next."

"We're not kids anymore! We can handle it."

"I know you can... Just let the three of us confirm something first."

The twins sulked as they went out the door. We waited for a few moments until their footsteps faded away. Then, Emerald put Zack on speaker again.