12. Other Fishes In The Sea

EMERALD'S POV

"Keep your posture straight, don't slouch. Next, keep your chin up, but not too much so you don't look like you're looking for a fight. Don't forget to smile whenever you are talking to someone, and while they're talking, you have to listen so you don't embarrass yourself when they ask you questions regarding what they said. Next..." I yawned as I listened to the teacher.

It was Business session for Sheila, meaning we had to stay outside with the rest of the bodyguards.

I tried to listen to what they were doing, trying to copy them afterward.

"Posture Straight... Keep your chin up, smile and listen..." I did all those, only to be laughed at by Ruby.

"You look so dumb!" Ruby said in between laughs. Some of the bodyguards were staring at her, wondering what could be so funny.

"Psh! I'd like to see you try." I challenged her. She seemed to think about it before looking at me in the eyes. "No. I don't wanna look like I have back problems."

"Excuses, excuses. You're just scared you can't do it better than me." I flipped my hair and taunted her. I knew she wouldn't be able to ignore an insult like that. Ruby's eye twitched before sneering. "Last time I checked, I was the one who-" She couldn't finish her sentence as the bell rang, signaling it was time for lunch.

The students from the classroom went on a rampage as they exited. Their poor bodyguards struggled to chase after them. Only Sheila was the one who calmly walked out.

"Ugh, my back hurts. I swear that teacher is out to get me." I gave her a questioning look. "Why so?"

"She only focused on me! My other classmates didn't straighten their posture as she instructed, but once I bent a little bit to rest my aching back, she immediately gave me her utmost attention!" She threw her hands up and regretted it as I heard something crack.

"W-Was that...?" She nodded at me and rubbed her back. Ruby gave her a look of pity. "Must be rough being a daughter of a billionaire."

Sheila did a small shrug, afraid she might feel something in her back again. "There are pros and cons to it." She sighed. "This is one of the cons."

We trudged rather slowly. Since we were on the fourth floor, we had to go up another four floors to arrive at the eighth floor where the canteen-like restaurant was located.

While doing so, Sheila kept whining about her back. "Alina's so lucky." She mumbled. "She was supposed to suffer with me." Ruby and I looked at her when she said that. Does she care for her sister or does she want her to suffer? Teenagers nowadays... I swear, they can be so confusing.

The smell of food wafted through the air until it reached my nostrils. My mouth involuntarily watered, the thought of delicious food made my stomach rumble.

"Over here!" We turned our heads towards a smiling Chris sitting at our usual table. Sheila would have run over there in less than a second, but with the situation on her back, she sort of limped.

Chris noticed this and couldn't help but ask. "What's wrong?"

Sheila rolled her eyes and simply said, "Business session."

Chris wrapped her arms around her - one at her stomach and the other at her back. "Hey, at least you survived." Chris chuckled. Sheila smiled and nuzzled Chris on his neck. "Yeah, and I got to see you now."

Not even ants could handle the sweetness. Ruby and I frowned, slightly jealous. "I am this close to using a dating app."

"Me too."