7. A Catastrophe

RUBY'S POV

Today was the awaited day for Alina. The moment we knocked at the twins' door, Alina opened it with a cheerful smile. Because of that, Sheila was smiling too.

Today was also one of the rare days miss Jords got to eat with us at breakfast. Noticing the change of behavior of her daughter, she couldn't help but ask an obvious question.

"Why are you smiling?" Miss Jords might have thought that it came out wrong as she rephrased it. "I mean why so smiley today? Not that it's a bad thing." Her smile was identical to her daughters, they must've inherited that from her.

"Nothing." Alina giggled with Sheila. Miss Jords shook her head and didn't ask further about it. "Come on. Let's go." Diamond said as she brought out her car keys.

The twins waved goodbye to their mom. We got inside the car and then drove off. There were many people on the streets today, the majority of them holding hands and kissing.

"Maybe I need a boyfriend too." Emerald stared out the passenger window, but her face scrunched up in disgust because when she looked outside, she came face to face with a kissing couple.

"I get it already!" Emerald exclaimed. I fell asleep during the car ride, mostly because of Emerald's non-stop complaints.

-

"It doesn't have to be like this." Diamond said, clenching her hands.

"I agree." Emerald coughed, gritting her teeth.

"Then let's never speak of this again. We can't hurt them first, which is not suitable for a lifestyle like this." I sat on the floor, exhausted.

"What will we do now?" Emerald whispered, feeling lost. I looked at the scene before me. To describe it in one word... I'd say it was a catastrophe.

"I also don't know..."

-

"Hey, wake up! We're heeeere!" Emerald yelled directly at my ear. This made me jump and cover them. "The hell? Shut up!" I pushed her away and opened the car door. "Did you sleep well?" Sheila asked rather worriedly.

I nodded and tilted my head. "Yes, I did, why?"

"Well... You look like you were having a bad dream." Sheila placed a hand on my arm, since she was inches shorter than me she stood up on her toes and whispered, "You can tell me anything you know?" I bit my cheeks. That's the thing, I don't want you to know. If you did... You might not look at us the same way again.

I patted her head. "You're a good kid. But I'm fine." With a smile, I reassured her. She frowned but dropped the topic. The mob of high school boys - some didn't even go to this school - surrounded us. They wanted to know if the girls were to meet them after school. The girls smiled sadly and shook their heads. "Sorry boys. We're gonna be busy. Thanks for the invitation though!"

Instead of getting sad or disappointed, they yelled out that it was okay and dispersed. When we got inside the school, I raised an eyebrow at them. "You girls seem so different now compared to when we first met you."

"Mommy raised us to be kind, polite, and humble. We thought you were another one of those bodyguards who really didn't care about us and just wanted the money. But you proved us wrong." Alina smiled and hugged my arm. Over the past month, we grew to be comfortable with these actions. Even Diamond didn't mind that Sheila was now practically back-hugging her.

We went to their lockers. for some reason, the envelopes weren't there anymore. "We brought them home." Alina shrugged, answering the question that I didn't even ask yet. Was that why their bags felt heavier than usual?