What's happening

“Which reminds me, you need to keep your windows locked Dove. That's how I got in on the nights I watched over you. Saying that out loud suddenly makes it sound way creepier than it was. I wanted to make sure I could control it around you, so that I knew I could around Ivy. Once I was sure I was ok, I started coming in and holding her. God Dove, she's so beautiful. I'm sorry if this is weird.” He said with a small chuckle.

“In any other circumstances it would be totally weird. Then again, nothing about this is normal that's for sure. I still can’t believe this is real. So wait, how have you survived? Have you, you know?”

“You wanna know if I’ve eaten anyone? Oh yea, so many I lost count.” he said, laughing out loud.

“What? It’s a valid question Eddie!” God, how I missed his laugh.

“Ok you’re right. I'm sorry Dove. You remember Hawkins lab? Turns out they have something for that. It’s synthetic, but real enough to work like the real thing. All I had to do was consent to some testing and I'm supplied for life. Well, however long that is.”

“What do you mean ‘however long that is’? Aren’t vamps supposed to be all eternal?” I asked, suddenly worried about what this change actually entailed for him.

“We don’t know everything yet, Dove.”

“So what do we know?”

“Well, I have all the normal human functions. I healed crazy fast when they would injure me. My stamina is off the charts, and I can go out in the sunlight. They’re gonna do more testing to see what else is happening, but so far everything checks out great. They just haven’t seen anyone else actually live from a demo bat bite, let alone dozens of them.” he said, acting like he's not some guinea pig.

“So aside from a few differences, you’re still my Eddie?” I said suddenly feeling the reality of everything all at once and letting some tears fall. Eddie pulled me into his arms, holding me close.

“Do I feel like your Eddie? Do I smell like him? Am I warm like him? Do you feel safe like you did before?” he asked, nuzzling into my neck, kissing it lightly. I couldn’t help but hum at the feeling.

“Yes my sweet Dove, I’m still your Eddie. I’m sorry It took me so long to come back to you.”

“Are you going to leave again?”

“Not if you don’t want me to. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't hurt either of you. I’d never forgive myself if I did.”

“God Eddie, I've missed you so much. I felt so damn broken without you. I was so mad at you for the longest time. I don't know how we’re gonna pull this off, but I'm not letting you go anywhere again. We both need you more than either of us realized.”

“I don't know how this is gonna work either, but I'll do anything and everything in my power to stay here with you.”

“I want to try something, if you’re ok with it.” I asked , wondering if it was even a good idea. He tilted his head, slightly curious.