2

And Jesus fuck it was still hot. You were sweating by the time you walked in, the little bell on the door jingling as you opened it. Someone in the back said "Welcome in!" But it was pretty muffled.

You stood waiting, trying to find an empty seat. You spotted one at the bar. Eh, why not? It's only you eating anyways. No reason to take up a whole booth. And maybe a little alcohol will do you good after the long day of traveling you had.

Shuffling over, you hopped up on the bar stool. Luckily, there was also a tiny fan blowing air right next to you. It was oscillating, but every time it came your way you made sure to stick your face in front of it. 

You were startled out of your hot stupor as a menu was plopped in front of your face.

"Welcome to Boys and Grills!" The person said. You looked up to get a better look at the person who jump scared you with a menu.

He was really tall, and big. He had messy short black hair, a little stubble on his chin, and really heavy bags under his eyes. You suddenly wondered if this guy every slept.

"Uh, hi." You said, smiling. He took a double look at you and his smile became a bit wider.

"Ain'tcha a new face around here?" He asked. His voice was deep and gravelly, and it had a bit of a southern drawl to it. You smiled.

"Yeah, actually... I just got here about an hour ago."

The man smiled and turned back to the food he was cooking. "You look at little young to be sitting at the bar." He said. You realized it was a joke, but still internally frowned anyways. You were in your 20's and yet people always thought you were younger.

"Yeah well... this was the only empty seat that wasn't a full booth." You sighed.

He laughed. "I'm just yankin' your chain. I'm Bob." He extended his hand out to shake yours.

You took it, your small hand engulfed in his much larger one. "(Y/N)"

Suddenly you perked up.... "Say hi to Bob for me!" Deborah yelled out as you left. You had no idea who that is.

"Oh!" You exclaimed and pointed at him. Bob's eyebrows rose in surprise. "Do you know someone named Deborah?" You asked.

He laughed and looked at you. "Yeah. Did she tell you to say hi?"

You nodded.

"Figures. She tells everyone to say hi to me. She's my cousin."

You ooooohhhed in response.

Bob suddenly spoke up. "Everyone's talking about you."

You shrugged. "We'll I wouldn't be surprised. This is an extremely small town."

"Everyone's been saying you're a surgeon. Is that true?"

You sighed. Oh boy.
"I mean... yes. I used to be, anyways. But I resigned." You looked down at the menu to avoid looking Bob in the eyes. You don't know why you felt like telling him that.

Bob sensed your tense response and pointed at the menu. "Were you thinking of ordering?" He asked.

You scanned over the menu. Finally, you answered him.

"Yeah. Can I get the cheeseburger?"

"Sure." Bob looked back at the grill. "And it's on the house."

You rose your eyebrows at that statement. "Wait, why?"

"I just think it would be fittin' for a new comer to have a free meal." He's looking at you now. "Plus, being a surgeon makes you pretty smart. I might wanna get on your good side." And then he winks.

You're not too sure how to respond to that so you just laugh, face red.

"Oh... okay." You muster out. Bob laughs and puts a burger in front of you. It smells... really good.

You hesitantly take a bite, Bob watching your every move.

It's... DELICIOUS. holy shit.

Mouth full, you point at the burger and then at Bob. "Youf made thifth???" You asked even though you basically watched him make it in front of your eyes.

He laughs, his grin widening even further. "Yeah. You like it?"

You nod eagerly in response.

It's silent for a bit as Bob gets back to cooking and you continue to eat. But as you're eating, Bob asks you something.

"You got a lot of unpacking to do, huh?" He asks, looking your way again. You grimace.

"Yeah... actually." You say. Shit... your mattress....

Bob notices your face fall and an idea springs into his head.

"Why don't I come and help you unpack tomorrow?"

You pause.

Normally you wouldn't accept help from anyone...ever... but.... this could be a great opportunity for you to make a friend other than your neighbor. Plus, the mattress is heavy and you're not sure you can move it alone.

After a bit of thinking, you look at Bob to respond. "Actually... that would be great. I have a huge mattress strapped to the top of my car I don't think I can move alone." You smiled. "Plus, I can make us lunch. You know." You gestured to the burger. "To repay for the free meal." You hoped he would agree.

Bob nodded his head and laughed. "Yeah okay! But you don't have to make me lunch."

You shook your head. "No, it's fine. I insist." You smile and pulled out your phone, flipping it open. "Here. Put your number in."

Bob took off his gloves and grabbed your phone, punching his number in. He noticed your background was a picture of a pixelated cat. Cute.

He hands your phone back to you as you stand up and gather your things. You grab it back, brushing his hand a little in the process.

"Thank you for doing this." You said. "I really appreciate the help."

"No problem kiddo. I'll see you tomorrow at noon?" Bob asked, tilting his head a little to the side.

You smiled and nodded, walking away. Then you turned and shouted, "You won't regret lunch!"

Bob laughed and shouted back. "I'm eager to see your cooking skills!"

You laughed and waved, and left the restaurant, door bell dinging behind you.

It was dark out now. You didn't realize how late you were out. The air smelled like summer, and the cicadas were still chirping.

Walking back home, you thought about your chat with Bob. He was really sweet. You hoped that you could be friends with him.

As you approached your violently green house, something bumped into your shins. You looked down to see two kids. One dressed in a skeleton costume, and one in a pumpkin costume.

... wasn't it June?

"Sorry! Gotta go!" The skeleton one blurted out and they bolted past you. You noticed that they turned and ran right into Lila's house. So that must be her kid and his friend. Interesting.

You'd ask her about the costumes another time. Right now, you were ready to sleep.

Oh. right. No mattress.

You sighed and turned away from your front door, and unlocked your car. You grabbed a box labeled "sheets and blankets" and shut the door.

Walking back to your house, you entered and once again observed how empty it was. Oh well. Now is the time for sleep!

You spread your blankets out on the floor and fluffed your pillow. You kicked off your shoes, and collapsed into the blanket pile, fully ready for the sweet embrace of sleep to hold you.

Little did you know... someone was watching you through the window.