13

This chapter discusses SA, trauma, PTSD, abuse, and attempted murder. Please skip this chapter if any of those topics may trigger you. Your mental health is more important than some silly story!

Italics = flashback

regular text = current day.

------

2003 - a look into your past.

------

"It all started when I was in surgical residency."

-

You sighed, flopping down on the locker room bench. Another busy day as a trauma surgeon resident. This day was fucking getting to you, and yet you still had 10 hours left to your shift. Since you were freshly graduated, many of your co-workers gave you the worst tasks. Clean up duty for an elderly patient, checking the blood pressure of a man who chopped his finger off - just little things. You were itching for a position in an actual surgical operation.

You stretch, pulling out a granola bar. You'll just have to be patient.

"That chocolate chip? Or S'mores?"

You turn to the sound of the voice. It was a man, tall and skinny. He has dark brown hair, and heavy bags under his eyes. You assumed it was from work, considering he was wearing the same scrubs as you.

"It's uh.. peanut butter actually."

He smiles. "Oh, so the shittiest flavor. Nice." You have little time to respond as he sticks his hand out to you. "I'm Matt." He says, a sweet expression crossing his face.

You giggle, grabbing his hand and shaking it. "(Y/N)."

Matt's eyes light up as he lets go of your hand. "Oh! You're that gifted kid right? The one who graduated early?"

Gifted? You would hardly call yourself that. "I mean... I guess???" You eye the various tattoos on his arms. Who the fuck is spreading rumors about you?

Matt laughs. "Hey, no need to be shy. You've got talent. I mean, I graduated around the same time as you, but we're a few years apart I think."

You pale. "Where are you getting all this information?"

"Oh you know. Word spreads quickly. Everyone knows that Carter is giving you the worst jobs."

You frown. Carter is your higher up - and he fucking hates you for some reason. He literally made you clean up shit off the floor DURING your lunch. It's safe to say he doesn't want to deal with you. You want to respond, but yours and Matt's pagers go off.

Matt stands up, stretching. "Duty calls. Come on gifted kid, lets see what you can do."

You quickly finish your granola bar, running after him. Can he not call you that?

You both run down the hall to the emergency room. Turning a corner, you see the issue. It's chaos as a woman is wheeled in on a gurney, unaware of her injuries.

Carter looks at you and Matt as you run alongside the gurney. "She was in a pretty nasty car accident. Just came in a minute ago. Her blood pressure is 200/180."

You take a look at the woman as she's lifted onto a table. Both her legs are absolutely shredded. They're definitely not salvageable. She's also bleeding profusely from a glass shard stuck in her forehead. Carter is continuing to spout information, and both you and Matt put torniquets on what's rest of her legs.