8

August 20th, 2005
—————————
As summer will soon come to a close, please remember to be careful at night. Remember to lock your doors, and don't walk alone at night.... blah blahblah blah....

You tune out the rest of the news radio broadcast. Currently, you're sitting outside in your backyard, swimsuit and shades on. It's the hottest it's been all year, and you had the grand idea to sit outside in the sprinkler. As it rotates, you sigh in delight as the water droplets smack across your skin.

The scabs on your knees now healed, and the wound on your nose has faded into a faint scar. Ever since that day that Bob came over and brought you dinner, you haven't hung out with him since. You try and text him, but he always says he's busy at work. And when you go into Boys and Grills to visit him, he doesn't talk to you as much as he used to.

You wonder what you're doing wrong. Are you guys still even friends? You hope he's doing okay mentally.

Stretching your legs, you stand. There's no use to mope right now. He'll come around eventually.

Walking inside, you strip off your swimsuit and hop in the shower. In 30 minutes you're supposed to meet Lila at her house for a year end summer barbecue. She told you that quite a few neighbors would be there, and that there would be food, and games. You couldn't turn down the prospect of either of those, so you agreed to coming.

Washing your hair, you suddenly remembered that you agreed to bring the fruit salad. Panicking, you quickly wash off and get dressed.

Padding into the kitchen, you reach up on your tallest shelf and grab the biggest glass bowl you have. Turning around, you set it on the kitchen counter. You precut the fruit last night, so all you have to do is put it in the bowl. Strawberries, grapes, bananas, oranges, and kiwi all go into the bowl, creating a beautiful rainbow concoction.

Satisfied with your work, you quickly wrap some foil around the top of the bowl. Now you're ready to go! Slipping on your sneakers, you grab your fruit and leave your house. You walk over to Lila's, noticing that there are already quite a few cars parked outside her house.

Quickening your pace, you walk up to her door and knock. Skid opens it and looks at you.

"Hi skid. Is your mom home?" You ask, looking down at him.

He smiles. "MOOOMMM!!!" He screams, keeping eye contact with you.

"Son! What did I tell you about yelling in the house!" Lila responds, walking up to the front door. Lila spots you, and engulfs you in a one sided hug.

"(Y/N)! It's so good to see you!"

You smile and hold up the bowl. "I brought the fruit salad!"

Lila smiles. "Awesome! I'll show you where to put it." And gestures forward. "Come on!"

You follow her. As you both walk out to her backyard, you notice that quite a lot of people are here already - most of which you don't recognize. They must be Lila's friends and family. Lila points over to a table with food already on it. "Just set it over there! We're going to eat soon once everyone gets here."

You nod and set the bowl down on the table, removing the foil. You get a good look around. There's a few kids, maybe a few elderly people, and mostly adults. You look towards the barbecue. Walking forward, you look at the hamburgers currently sizzling on the grill. Isn't there anyone watching these? They might get burn-

"(Y/N)."

It's a deep southern accented voice, and you know exactly who it is. Turning around, you meet face to face with Bob.