21

Hi guys! Sorry for the late update. School and work have been kicking my ass. However, I'm thrilled about how well this fanfic has been doing! I didn't expect so much positive feedback and it makes me feel really good! So, thank you.

Anyways, on to the story!

-

Sometime in the 1980's...
—————————————

"Daddy?"

"Yes, pumpkin?"

"Why does Mommy hate me?" You ask, gripping your Dad's sleeve.

He sighs, kneeling down to your level. "Oh honey, Mommy doesn't hate you. She loves you." He says, encompassing you in a hug.

You pull back, looking up at him. "... why does she yell at me all the time then?"

Your father looks at you sympathetically. "She's just giving you tough love. She wants you to be successful." He ruffles the top of your head and stands up. "Come on. Let's go inside."

You grab his hand, letting him lead you inside the apartment.

".... AND I SAID NO!"

Your peaceful outlook is soon soured by your mom yelling at Kira, a glass of wine in her hand. Kira looks visibly upset, fists clenched and tears threatening to fall.

Your dad lets go of your hand. "What's going on?"

Your mom points at Kira. "She wants to go to the dance this weekend. But I already TOLD her several days ago that she can't! She needs to study for her exam!"

Your dad sighs. "Vivian. She's thirteen. Let her be a kid." He's had this conversation with your mother many times. But the outcome is always the same.

Your mom sets her wine glass down on the table. "Don't you tell me how to parent, Keith." She points at Kira. "You're not going. That's final."

Your dad raises his hands defensively. "Now hold on. Parenting is a two person job." He lowers his hands, sighing. "I just think we should work as a team more."

Your mom scoffs. "As if-"

Your dad holds up his hand to silence her. "Let's not do this now. Please. Not in front of the kids."

Your mom looks at you and Kira. "Go find something to do. Anything. I need to talk to your father." She waves her hand, signaling for the both of you to leave.

Kira grabs your hand. "Come on, (Y/N)." She whispers, leading you out the apartment door. "Let's go to the park."

You hear your parents shouting as you close the door.

She still holding your hand as you walk down the stairs down to the community park not too far away. She's quiet, and you don't say anything, simply observing her. She lets go of your hand, sitting on the swings. You join her, idly swinging your legs back and forth.

She sighs. "I think she hates me."

You turn and look at her. "Who?"

"Mommy."

You're quiet, as you look away from her. "...me too."

Kira kicks up the bark chips beneath her feet. "Ugh! It's just... why have kids if you're not gonna love them?" She turns and looks at you. "I know you're only seven, but..." she grabs your hand. "Never change, (Y/N)."

You look at her, eyebrows raised. "Uh... okay Kira. Can we please play hide and seek?"

She smiles. "Sure."