Chapter 9: Youngblood

"How do you feel about Rebecca?"

David was taken a back by the simple question, The man's reputation caused him to be scared of any question from his mouth.

"Um, she's fun ya know?" David stated "today was our first official meeting, and I've enjoyed it, Going to the Mall, her teasing comments, she's made what would have been a unusually boring day fun"

Hunter simply snorted in amusement as he stated "Yeah, she's good for it, she'll keep you on your toes though, that's for sure"

They soon lapsed into awkward silence, so thick you could cut it with a Mantis blade.

"So have you ever gone on a job with Maine's crew?" David questioned while Hunter worked, Desperate to break the silence.

"Once" Hunter stated continuing to work on Rebecca.

"What's the story?"

"It's not much of a story" Hunter explained "they needed an extra solo for a gig, and I was avaliable, pretty cut and dry if you ask me"

David simply nodded as Hunter rolled back in his chair before standing up as he muttered "why the fuck cant she ever keep her Cyberware in good fucking shape?"

"What happened?"

"She's blown a fucking cervo in her right leg, It's not important enough to notice right away but had she tried to do a super jump or use them for extra speed before coming here, it would have destoryed her right leg and landed her right in that chair before she was ready, thats if a dorphhead didn't get to her first" Hunter explained as he disappeared into what David Guessed was his stock room.

He returned with the part that he needed and sat back down shifting closer as he began to peel away the armour plating covering Rebecca's right leg.

"So, tell me kid" Hunter stated "why do you want to be an edgerunner, it's an awfully dangerous job"

David sighed as he said "I need the eds choom, that simple"

"Why not stay in school, become a ripperdoc, a legit one like me and many others, I've heard some rippers are getting paid hundreds of thousands by the military and Law enforcement"

"I think edgerunning is more my speed"

"Bold talk from someone with a Sandevistan grafted to their spine" Hunter stated, bluntly "a piece of cyberware which allows the user to basically move and perceive things at a enhanced rate"

David was in stunned silence, the man across from him simply and accurately rattled off information on the Sandevistan without as much as a second thought.

Hunter on the other hand had begun working to replace the damaged cervo in Rebecca's leg, completely forgetting that David was even in the clinic let alone only a few feet from him.

"He's really dedicated to his craft" David thought to himself trying to say as quiet as he could as to not draw the wrath of The Reaperdoc.

"I'll have to ask Lucy or Rebecca for the footage" David thought to himself "I need to see the event  that earnt this man his nickname for myself"

The remainder of Rebecca's cyberware check up went without issue.

Once Hunter was finished he glanced at the time on his Digital Tablet before silently standing from his chair, the simple motion causing the chair to roll back.

He silently walked to the door and flicked a switch and changed a simple Neon sign on the door to say 'closed' instead of 'open'

He sighed again and set down on his rolling desk chair beginning to finish up what david could only assume to be a report of Rebecca's check up.