Chapter 10{"happy birthday..."}

TW: Abuse (mental and physical), mention of su1cide, transphobia

Hajime's/3rd person POV
[Tuesday 5:00 pm]

Hajime got home late from some people wishing him a happy new year fewer wishing him a happy birthday and also, Yukizome's gift.

Hajime opened the door to his house slowly and tried to silently sneak upstairs as if he were just at an all-night rave, he made it to his room and shut the door with a sigh, sliding his back down the door slightly. "Hello, Hajime." The sudden voice in Hajime's room made him jump, he looked over at his desk to see his mother staring at him with disappointment written across her face.

[TW: abuse, transphobia]

"Hey, mom, what're you doing in here?" Hajime looked around nervously
"I should be asking you the opposite. What weren't you doing here?!" She stood up and walked towards Hajime "I try to be nice child, then you pull this shit?" She rubbed the bridge of her nose with an irritated sigh.
"I'm sorry... I didn't mean to be home so late."
"Oh, so now am I supposed to forgive you?!" She spoke in a mocking tone. "Oh, I forgive you, I never should've been mad." Her brows furrowed "bull shit." Her hand made contact with Hajime's cheek, leaving a red mark.

Hajime covered his cheek with his hand in pain. "That hurt..." Hajime muttered, barely audible. His mother pushed him away from the door making him stumble a bit.

"Be more like your brother. And take that gross chest thing off. I won't tolerate a confused daughter." Hajime's mother spat that last sentence out with anger before slamming the door behind her. Hajime stood there for a second, trying to process what his mother just said to him, tears filling his eyes.

[TW end]

"Happy birthday to me I guess..." Hajime mumbled to himself. He grabbed the dusty orange box and opened the lid, taking out the green jacket. Hajime sighed sadly and put the jacket on, it was comforting it almost felt as if Nagito was there right now, hugging Hajime in a warm embrace 'I should go visit him.' Hajime thought to himself, he opened his window and started to climb out of it so his parents wouldn't know he was gone. When he reached the ground, he stayed silent and completely still for a moment to make sure no one heard. All clear. Hajime started jogging away from the house and making his way to the cemetery.

With a sigh Hajime sat in front of a grave, Nagito's grave to be specific. "Hey... Woah, it's my first birthday without you since we met..." Hajime started tearing up "it's kinda strange without you here... I-I miss you Nagito, I know that won't change anything, but it's true." Tears streamed down Hajime's face as he sniffled and tried wiping the tears away.

[TW: mention of suic1de]

"I-...I'm so sorry Nagito... if I just stayed up there with you and actually helped you, maybe I could've... y'know... stopped you..?" He sniffled again, not even bothering to try to stop the tears anymore. " I hope you can at least be with your parents now.."

[TW end]

"Hajime..." it was that voice again. Hajime turned his head quickly. "Nagito?" He called out in a hushed tone. The voice could no longer be heard. 'Why is that voice only calling my name then disappearing..?' Hajime thought as he stood up.

Hajime carefully climbed back into his room through the opened window and placed his shoes in front of it. As he lay on his bed, there was a knock on the door.

"Hajime? You in there?" Izuru called. Hajime responded and told his brother to come in. "this cake was questioned severely so I hope you like it." Izuru continued in his usual tone.

Hajime smiled, "thanks Izuru, honestly just knowing you remember my birthday is good enough..!" He exclaimed, slightly hushed. Hajime got out of bed and sat on the floor, in front of his older brother. "What kind of cake?"
"Citrus."
"Ooo, thanks Izuru!"
Izuru chuckled slightly and opened the box that held the citrus cake. "I also bought candles. Do you still have your lighter?" Izuru asked, Hajime nodded and reached into his pocket, pulling out a lighter and handing it to Izuru. "I'm not putting these on the cake, don't worry, I know how much you hate the candle wax being on the cake." Hajime smiled at Izuru's words.

Izuru started to quietly sing the happy birthday song, Hajime was happy to have Izuru as his brother. Izuru and Hajime always celebrated his birthday when their parents were going to sleep because their parents didn't think Hajime deserved a birthday celebration.

Izuru handed Hajime the lit candle and told him to make a wish so, Hajime thought of a wish and blew the candle out while smiling.

"I got you a gift. I hope you like it." Izuru said as he pulled out a gift bag from behind him and handed it to Hajime. Hajime opened the gift and inside was a pin with an orange on it. It wasn't much but, it was enough. Hajime smiled and looked up at his brother.

"Thank you, Izuru!" Hajime hugged his brother and Izuru hugged back after abit.

Hajime layed in bed staring at the ceiling blankly, trying to fall asleep. He checked the time [12:00 AM] and his eyes widened a bit since not much time had passed. Sighing, Hajime put his phone back down on his nightstand and put his hands over his face. 'Why can't I fall asleep..? Jeez, this is annoying.' Hajime thought to himself, still trying to sleep.

Hajime shut his eyes and got comfortable and tried to fall asleep. After awhile he finally grew tired and drifted off into a gentle rest.

"Hinata-kun?" A hand waved in front of Hajime's face, trying to get his attention.

"Ah, hey there, Komaeda-kun..." Hajime calmly greeted the white haired boy with a soft smile. Nagito sat down next to Hajime, so close that their shoulders were almost touching each others. Nagito turned his head to Hajime and gave a warm smile.

"Hello there. It's nice to meet you, officially, I mean.. heh..." the pale skinned one awkwardly laughed off his sentence. "Sorry, I just heard so many wonderful things about you... I'm a bit nervous being next to someone filled with so much hope." Nagito smiled with a soft blush. Hajime smiled back.

"There's no need to apologize and, I feel the same, I've heard really amazing things about you and your luck." Hajime answered with enthusiasm. Nagito suddenly looked at Hajime with a serious expression and became very silent.

"I'm not real anymore. Wake up Hinata-kun. This is all a dream." Nagito said.

Hajime woke up to his alarm blaring at him to get up and go to school. Hajime smacked his hand on the alarm clock and just stared at the ceiling with tears in his eyes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Thank you to everyone who is reading this story! Like woah, 72 views already??? Thank you. :)

1191 words