4. visitors

The next morning

"Shh, no get out Narla", followed by a series of barking, filled my ears as I slowly opened my eyes, confused at the commotion around me. Bounding onto my face as I tried to prop myself up, Narla licked me and barked happily right in my ear. "Agh, not now Narlie" I pushed Narla off myself gently then rubbed my eyes.

"Morning maise, sorry about that, I was trying to wake I up calmly until little miss ran into the room" My mum said, a much quieter good morning than the one Narla had given me. I tiredly smiled, flopping back down into my bed and pulling the covers over my head, to shield from the sun that was blinding me.

"Is there a reason for me needing to be up so early, it is a sunday" I questioned, slightly annoyed by my lie-in plans being scuffered.

"Actually there is, alongside getting you out of bed, we have visitors today"

"who is it?"

"It's my grandparents"

Just hearing those words made I groan, and try hide further down under my covers

"I know, I know, I'm sorry, I didn't even know they were coming, they just turned up and welcomed themselves in." Lucy whispered to me and I heard her shut the door, preparing for the protest I was about to make.

Whilst Lucy was pregnant with me, my Dad had an OD and ever since then, his parents had been absolutely awful . They blamed Lucy for my Dad's death but expected me to always agree with them and made snoopy comments at Keira. Yet, every now and again, they'd just randomly show up and enter the house without an invite and drill me about every aspect of my life. Mum hated them just as much as I did but she seems to be able to deal with them better than I do.

"Nooo, I am not coming down, I don't want to hear all there nonsense- Are you top of you classes? Have you got a handsome boyfriend? " I mimicked.

"Sh, sh, they might hear you, and I get it, but currently Keira's being grilled about her academic results and being reminded about Matt's bloody army awards, so can you please come down with me?" Lucy pleaded with me and I laughed slightly.

"Wow, Keira's slacking, she's only a pro for man city and England, where's her 1 week of military service badge?"

"Yeah, I know right. So are you coming?"

"I guess so" I quickly shove a hoodie on and make myself look presentable, before following my mum down the stairs, mentally preparing myself.

"And what about my career then, what job are you going to get with a football spin, you do know bosses really like-" I hear my grandmother grill Keira from the kitchen.

"My career is football then I'm not sure what after that, would you like sugar in my tea?" Keira says.

"Oh goodness no, I would never have sugar in my tea it's so bad for you! Matt was in such good fitn-" I quickly cut in, as I enter the room.

"Yeah, I'll have one Ke, 2 sugars please" I never have tea, let alone two sugars but Ithought this would annoy my grandparents even more.

"No you will not, Matilda, I do not allow such an unhealthy diet" My Grandmother said, staring shockingly at me.

I threw a confused glance at my mum and Keira, who were both standing by the kettle.

"Firstly, my daughter's name is Maisie not Matilda, and secondly you do not worry about what she drinks or what she doesn't drink,Keira or I do" Lucy angrily says.

"Well, HER Father actually chose the name Matilda but YOU decided you had the right to change it and as for Keira, she will never have any say over Matilda, she isn't her parent, you can't have two mums!"

"GET OUT OF MY FUCKING HOUSE" Lucy shouts at her, moving closer

"Come on then Matilda, it's time for some grandma-grandaughter time-" My grandma ignores mum and smiles at me, one that I do not reciprocate. I'm slightly taken aback by the shouting but pleased mum's saying it for me.

"It's Maisie, I never knew my fucking Dad because he died Ok, and if he was anything like you, I don't want to know any more about him" I back off, towards Keira, who's standing awkwardly in the corner, on the verge of tears.

"You are one rude little girl, and it's all down to bad parenting, Matt would be so disappointed in you"

"DID YOU NOT HEAR ME THE FIRST TIME, I SAID GET OUT MY FUCKING HOUSE AND DON'T BOTHER COMING BACK" Lucy screamed out them, standing right in front of my grandmother's face. My Grandad who had been silent this whole time, now stood forward and pushed mum back. "DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH ME, OR MAISIE OR KEIRA, GET OUT BEFORE I CALL THE POLICE" I admire my mum's bravery for this, because my grandfather is one scary man.

Eventually after some more back-and-forth shouting, mum forces my grandparents out the house. "Fucking Hell" My mum slowly says as she sits down on the sofa, head in hands. "I'm sorry about that Maise and Ke, I should of just kicked them out as soon as I let them in"

"No, what they said wasn't my fault, Mum, they're just cunts" I say, sitting down next her

"I hope you know my grandparents wouldn't approve of this language, Maise, and neither do I" Lucy says, pulling me into a hug.

"Mhm, wow, maybe you do actually agree on one thing" You laugh, "was Dad just like them?"

"No" She shakes her head, and forces a smile

"You got some great in-laws out of it!"

"What would I do without of them?"

"Also, were you aware of this whole Matilda business?" I ask, looking up at my mum.

She sighs, "Yeah... he actually went to my mum's house, where I was staying, and tried to get you to be called that, but obviously, I tossed that one out the window as soon as he said that. It was me who came up with Maisie and Grandad who came up with Adelina"

"Wow never knew Dad was Portuguese"

"Oh shut it, you know the Grandad I'm on about"

A/N

I'm really sorry for the lack of updates, but now I'm off from school, they'll be coming a bit more. Hope you enjoyed this bit of drama, stay tuned for the next part.