35. The café

"Maise, Maisie, Maisie" I hear, someone gently shaking me and stroking my face, as I slowly awake. I let out a deep sigh and open my eyes, quickly closing them as the light struck them. I hum, letting whoever it was know I'm awake without fully having to admit defeat yet. "You can stay here and your grandparents will come pick you up when it's time, but mum and I are off to the hospital" a voice I recognise to be Keira's says. This wakes me up with a jolt.

"It's happening now?" I croak, sitting up quickly.

"Yeah, but it's ok, go back to sleep, it'll be another few hours at least"

"No, no, no, I want to come" I say, throwing the covers back and trying to get out of bed, Keira's body stopping me. 

"I'm sorry, you won't be aloud until they're here, but as soon as they are, I can promise you, you will be the first there" Keira says back, stroking my hair.

"I'll sit outside"

Keira half smiles, "I'm sorry, your grandparents will come round once they're ready and I can promise you you will be there as soon as possible but as much as I and your mum both want you to be there, the hospital just won't budge."

"How is this fair! I'm the sister" I complain, throwing myself back onto the sheets.

"I know, I know, I don't quite understand either" Keira sighs, "Lucy's in the lounge if you want to come say goodbye?"

I just nod, and slide out of bed, rubbing my eyes and throwing my jumper on, following Keira out the room. It was only then that I checked the time, 5:34 am. No wonder I feel like I've just survived an apocalypse.

"Hey Maise" Mum half winces as I enter the room, seeing her slumped on the sofa in a tracksuit, one that was sent to her by Nike from their maternity range. In the past few months, she's seemingly turned into the pregnant model of the century with every company wanting to do some sort of colab with her. I guess she ticks all the boxes though: pregnant with twins, female footballer and with a woman. 

"It's happening mum" I smile, sitting down carefully next to her and hugging her, resting my head on her shoulder. 

"I'm sorry you can't come" She manages to breathe out.

"It's ok, I understand, I will be there as soon as possible though" I laugh.

"I'll see you soon then, I love you" Mum kisses my forehead.

"Love you too, I can't wait to be a big sister" 

Mum smiles tiredly. I can tell she's in pain but she's also trying to glaze over it, probably for my sake.

Keira and I help mum hobble to the car, having to stop every 10 seconds to give mum a rest. We eventually make it there and lower her into the car. "Next time I see you, you'll be a mum of three, how's that feel" I laugh, as I lean against the door, not wanting to say goodbye just yet. 

"Old" Mum half laughs, closing her eyes and resting her head on the head rest. 

It felt like years that I was sat on the sofa, flicking around the channels, picking my phone up every two seconds waiting for the call. In honesty, I'd been sat there for 2 hours. It was only half 7. 

Both mum and Keira's parents had come to Barcelona in the week coming up to the due date, them both staying at the nearest hotel due to the lack of space we had in our house at the moment with the guest bedrooms being either turned into a new bedroom or filled with boxes of baby stuff. The preparation leading up to today had been great fun. I'd spent ages deciding on the theme of the baby's room and finally decided on safari, going with a gender neutral theme seeing as we were yet to know the twin's genders. The room was painted a light green with giraffes on the wall and big leaves. I'd also chosen an elephant rug for one side by one cot and a lion rug by the other. Each cot had a safari hanging mobile and I'd also bought an elephant and lion cuddly toy that I would take with me to the hospital. I was very proud of the room and had even posted a photo on my Instagram earning a flurry of responses saying how much they loved it.