21. Portuguese

Omg. It's Thursday. The day the other girls arrive at camp for my U18's camp.

I would be lying if I didn't say I was bricking it but at the same time, I was also massively excited, as were all the other girls by the seems of it when they arrived. 

I nervously stood in my England trackie, one that I was given just now, even though I already had loads from being on mum's camp, in the main reception, stood next to mum who was having a chat with the coach, who having met was really nice. He had given me a run down on everything that'll happen at the camp which had slightly settled my nerves however the fact most of the girls were at least over 3 years older than me did scare me. The thoughts of, 'will I fit in', and will they all be better than me' surrounded me, but I reminded myself, or at least mum did, that I wouldn't of been chosen if I wasn't good enough. The fact that they'd all swan and fan around me didn't even cross my mind.

"Who do you play for"
"How long you been playing for?"
"Who do you support"
"How long have you been here?"
"What position do you play?"

I tried my hardest to answer as many questions as possible, before the coach pulled them all away. I noticed all the other girls saying their goodbyes to their parents so I approached mum and wrapped my arms round her. "See you soon mum"

"Come let me know how the first day goes tonight ok? All the girls will want to know too so please come to the chill room?"

"I will, I will, if I'm aloud"

"I'm sure they will, and if they don't play the 'I'm young and miss my mum' card" She whispers.

I laugh and we say our final goodbyes before I join the others in a meeting room on the left of the hall. I find a seat, in the corner of the room, avoiding sitting in a seat that I suspected might of been saved for anyone. I took the chance to take a look round the room, observing all the other girls chatting away. It comforted me to see that not all the girls had a friend to immediately talk with, which hopefully meant I wasn't the only newbie. 

"Sorry, is this seat taken?" I look up to see a girl, who looked older than me but that was to be expected, shyly asking.

"No, yeah, it's not" I smile

"Thanks" She says, sitting down and making herself comfortable. We sit in a slightly awkward silence for a moment before she asks, "first camp?"

"Yeah, well at least one I've been called up for" I internally slapped myself for saying that, knowing how stupid that must sound. "I mean, I go to the ones my mum goes to, sorry that must sound stupid"

"Oh right, wait, does your mum play?"

"Um  yeah, she plays for the seniors"

"No way! What's her name"

"Lucy Bronze"

"Shut up, really? She's literally  been my idol since I was tiny, you're so lucky"

"Yeah" I reply, finding it all really awkward, "how about you?"

"What is my mum a football superstar?" She laughs

I laugh back, slightly relaxing, "No, no I mean is this your first camp?"

No,this is my third time I think,  I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name?"

"Oh, it's Maisie, and you?"

"I'm Adelina, but most people just call me Lia"

"Wait, no way"

"What?" She laughs

"That's literally my middle name" 

"Wait, are you Portuguese too, or spanish?"

"Yeah, I'm a quatre Portuguese, this is so funny"